This smoked salmon and cucumber salad is an easy and quick way to serve up an impressive appetizer. With just 5 ingredients it takes minutes to prepare and looks amazing on a platter or plate.
Perfect for summer BBQ's or for summer pot lucks. Serve it with some crostini or crusty bread and people can make their own delicious smoked salmon salad bruschetta.
Serve it individually plated as an elegant dinner party appetizer, or box it up and have it on a picnic with your family and friends.
How to make a smoked salmon and cucumber salad look gorgeous
Salads that don't have many ingredients need to be arranged nicely on the plate or platter. This is what stands them apart.
For this salad, take a slice of smoked salmon and gently curl it down onto the plate so it lays in a slight ruffle. Continue doing this until your plate/platter is full.
Then take the cucumber ribbons and gently twist them around your finger before tucking them in and around the smoked salmon.
The wonderful creamy sauce also adds interest to the dish! Plus it is a wonderful element to balance the sweet smoky salmon
A garnish of some sort helps as well, here we use fresh flowers.
I can't find edible flowers?
Edible flowers are super cute, but they are not essential to this salad. They are just there for prettiness, so please don't stress, just leave off the flowers.
But as an alternative you can use fresh dill, chopped chives, beetroot leaves, microgreens. Or just garnish with the lemon zest and black pepper.
How to cut a cucumber into ribbons.
Cucumber ribbons make this salad look elegant, but they are so simple to make.
Just take a continental or hothouse cucumber and then use a potato peeler to cut off long strips of cucumber. You will need to discard the very first strip as it will all be skin, and as you get closer to the middle you will need to discard the seedy core.
Ideally, you want to buy long thin cucumbers, these will give you nice strips that have the gorgeous dark jade stips of skin on either side of the pale green strips.
How to make the creamy sauce
The creamy sauce for this smoked salmon and cucumber salad is made with just two ingredients! Sour cream and prepared horseradish or creamed Horseradish.
They are mixed together to form a soft creamy sauce with a nice bite to balance the sweet smoky salmon.
For more delicious smoked salmon ideas check out:
- Smoked Salmon with Capers and Hard Boiled Egg
- 3 Easy Smoked Salmon Appetizers
- Sheet Pan Smoked Salmon Frittata
- Mini Baked Potatoes with Sour Cream and Smoked Salmon
- Smoked Salmon Devilled Eggs
- Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Spoons
And for more scrumptious salads try:
- 10 Minute Greek Couscous Salad
- Tomato Orzo Salad
- Brazilian Tomato Salad
- Mexican Black Rice and Pumpkin Salad
- Spiced Poached Pears and Goats Cheese Salad
- Fig and Mozzarella Salad
- Peri Peri Chicken Pasta Salad
- Mozzarella and Watermelon Salad
Pin this recipe for Smoked Salmon and Cucumber Salad. Pin it here.
Get the Recipe
Smoked Salmon and Cucumber Salad Recipe
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish/creamed horseradish
- 1 English hothouse cucumber
- 8 oz sliced smoked salmon
- 1 lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- optional garnish - edible flowers/microgreens
- Mix the sour cream horseradish together in a small bowl.
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut into long strips off the cucumber to form ribbons.
- Curl the smoked salmon ad cucumber ribbons onto your plates, then add small dollops of the sour cream mixture.
- Finish the dish with lemon zest, plenty of black pepper and a scant sprinkle of salt.
Nutrition is per serving