This Mexican Black Rice and Pumpkin Salad is packed with flavour. Honey and cumin roasted pumpkin, nutty sweet black rice, creamy avocado, spicy chilli, zingy lime and fabulous fresh coriander. So many delicious flavours that make this salad a taste explosion.
We all know I love roasted vegetables, I have a bit of an obsession with the sweet savoury intense flavour that you get when you roast veg. A whole recipe collection worth of obsession 😉
Just last month I shared my Roasted Spiced Carrot, Red Onion and Mozzarella Salad, and before that there was Roasted Fennel with Parmesan and Chives and so many more. Check out my roasted veg collection here.
I have a few food obsessions 😉 Remember my charred lemon obsession? Man that was a good G&T!!! Or my dumpling obsession….haha I ate an awful lot of dumplings that month! And I still love them!
But my long time obsession (other than pasta) has been roasted veg. Yes I am crazy, but I am my own personal kind of crazy!!!! 😉
I can’t help it, when you roast veg the natural sugars caramelise, and you get that smoky toffee flavour. A touch of olive oil, some salt and pepper and pretty much any veg you can think of tastes amazing roasted! Even the maligned Brussel Sprouts taste perfect when roasted!
Today I have roasted pumpkin for you! Which is perfect for the start of fall up in the Northern hemisphere! Pumpkin season is fast approaching, which is good as I cannot get enough of it!!!
I made this salad last week, demolished plenty and packaged the rest up for a friend. It travelled well, which makes it perfect for taking for lunch. Just be sure to give the chopped avocado a good coating of lime juice to make sure it doesn’t go brown and mushy! If you have access to a work kitchen, even better would be to chop your avo when you want to eat your salad.
If you have never cooked black rice before it is pretty simple. It is best cooked by the absorption method. Low heat and double the quantity of water to rice.
If you can’t find black rice, then wild rice would be a great substitute. Even white rice could be substituted in here. Although I would cook it in vegetable stock to add some extra flavour.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Mexican Black Rice and Pumpkin Salad #SundaySupper
This Mexican Black Rice and Pumpkin Salad is packed with flavour. Honey and Cumin Roasted Pumpkin, nutty sweet black rice, creamy avocado, spicy chilli, zingy lime and fabulous fresh coriander. So many fabulous flavours that make this salad a taste explosion. From Sprinkles and Sprouts #SundaySupper
- 1 1/2 cup black rice
- 1 small pumpkin see notes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 avocado
- 2 limes
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 tbsp EVOO
- handful coriander
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF.
To Cook the Rice
- Wash the black rice a couple of times.
Bring 750ml (3 cups) of water to the boil, salt it and then add the black rice.
- Bring to a simmer, put and the lid and turn the heat to low.
- Cook the rice for 35 and then let it sit off the heat for a further 10 minutes.
Whilst the rice is cooking prepare the pumpkin.
- Cut/peel the skin from the pumpkin and then cut the flesh into chunky 'cubes'.
- Lay the pumpkin over a lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and honey and then sprinkle over the cumin, paprika and smoked paprika.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes until soft and charred on the edges.
Whilst the pumpkin is cooking prepare the garnishes.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Cut the avocado into small chunks and squeeze over the juice of 1 lime.
- Finely chop the red chilli.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges.
- Take a large bowl, add the rice and tip in the pumpkin along with any remaining oil on the baking sheet.
- Spread over the avocado cubes, onion slices and chopped chilli.
- Serve with a drizzle of EVOO, the lime wedges and a generous garnish of fresh coriander.
1 small pumpkin yielding 4 cups raw peeled and cubed
Nutritional Info Based on a Main Course Meal
For More Simple Rice Recipes for Dinner #SundaySupper
What’s for dinner?
- Butternut and Brown Rice Soup by Cindys Recipes and Writings
- Crispy Rice Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Easy Pork Fried Rice Gluten Free by Crickets Confections
- Grannys Sausage & Rice Casserole by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Rice Pilaf with Toasted Almonds by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers by A Kitchen Hoors Adventures
- Mexican Black Rice and Pumpkin Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Rice is for dinner!
- Olive & Date Rice Side Dish by My Life Cookbook
- Qatiqli Hurda (Uzbek Rice Soup with Yogurt) by Taras Multicultural Table
- Savory Rice Porridge by Pies and Plots
- Slow Boat to China by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Slow Cooker Jamaican Rice and Peas Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Cacciatore over Rice by My Blissful Mess
- Sushi Roll Rice Bowl by The Freshman Cook
- Tex Mex Chicken Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Paella Recipe with Beef and Shrimp by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Its easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.