This Greek couscous salad is ready in 10 minutes!!!! And it looks and tastes amazing. Packed with the flavours of a traditional greek salad, this greek couscous could be a side dish or served on it’s own for lunch. Better yet make it for dinner and pack up the leftovers in a lunchbox!!!!
What to serve with couscous?
The wonderful thing about couscous is it goes with so many different dishes.
Serve this greek couscous with:
- Seared Steak
- Grilled chicken
- Blacken salmon
- Roasted veg
- Baked mushrooms
- A sprinkling of roasted chickpeas
I made a batch of this greek couscous up this week to serve with my One Pan Greek Chicken!!! It was a Greek kind of week 😉
Did you see my Greek chicken, it is a post from a couple of years ago, but I added a cool cooking video to it. Check it out here.
The flavours work so well together!!! Plenty of oregano and olive oil and the salty hit of feta and olives!!! YUM!!!!!
How to flavor couscous?
The trick to flavourful couscous is to use stock when you cook it. Vegetable or chicken stock are best, but for a hearty side try beef stock and roasted vegetables.
I make my greek couscous with vegetable stock to ensure it has plenty of flavour, as let’s face it couscous is pretty bland on it’s own!!!! I also add some dried herbs, seasoning and lemon zest to the couscous so that whilst it is sitting in the hot stock it is also absorbing all the wonderful greek flavours. Don’t skip that step it really does make all the difference.
Once you have finished making your the greek couscous, give it a final drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with fresh herbs. This turns this your couscous into something special. If you can find fresh oregano then it is wonderful here, but fresh mint is delicious too. Or a mixture!!!!!
Why is my couscous clumpy? Why is my couscous gluggy? Why is my couscous sticky?
These are questions I get asked a lot! And my answer is always the same. It comes down to the ratio of couscous to liquid.
If you look at the photo above you will see the couscous is fluffy rather than stuck together.
For 1 1/2 cups of couscous I use 1 3/4 cups of stock.
And once the couscous has soaked. I use a fork to fluff the grains and make everything soft and separated.
Ways to use up leftover couscous.
Leftover couscous is great taken for lunch. Add some slices of chicken or strips of steak and you have a healthy and delicious lunch.
Once cooked, you can keep it cover in the fridge for 3/4 day.
Or mix it together with an egg and make some couscous fritters.
10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad #SundaySupper
This Greek couscous salad is ready in 10 minutes!!!! And it looks and tastes amazing. Packed with the flavours of a traditional greek salad, this greek couscous could be a side dish or served on it's own for lunch. Better yet make it for dinner and pack up the leftovers in a lunchbox!!!! #SundaySupper #quickandeasy
- 1 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon
- 1 3/4 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- ½ cucumber
- handful kalamata olives
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- Fresh oregano/fresh mint to serve
Tip the couscous into a large bow/, add the dried oregano, dried parsley, black pepper, salt and the zest of the lemon. Mix gently to combine Then pour over the hot stock.
Cover the bowl and leave it for 5 minutes until all the stock has been absorbed.
Fluff the couscous with a fork.
Chop the cherry tomatoes in half (or quarters) and add them to the couscous along with the finely chopped onion.
Cut the cucumber in half and remove the seeds then chop into small dice. Add to the couscous.
Cut the loves into wedges and add to the couscous with the EVOO.
Stir everything together and serve with the crumbled feta cheese and some fresh herbs.(You can add some wedges of the tested lemon too)
10 Minute Greek Couscous Salad Anecdote
(aka my recipe ramble for those who love the waffle)
I have been making this greek couscous since before Mr 9 was born!!!!!!!!!! It was a staple lunchbox meal for me back when I was working. I could make a big batch up on a Sunday and then have it for at least 3 lunches! Like I mentioned above, sliced chicken, sliced beef (shrimp if I was feeling flush) are all super yum with this dish.
I also make this as a big bowl to take to pot lucks or bring a dish parties. It is always a hit as it goes with so many different things 😀
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes think you might love, like this 10 Minute Greek Couscous Salad.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Check out all the other Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
Big thanks to Rini from Healing Tomato for hosting this week.
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoors Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindys Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind Full Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Carolines Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Crickets Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monicas Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Its easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
I actually charred up the lemon (I used for the zest) and served that with the leftover greek couscous for lunch today, but I thought perhaps I had given you charred lemon overload recently 😉 (Do you remember the charred lemon addiction???)
However you decide to make this, be it a side or a lunch item, do give it a go. The flavours are beautiful and it is ready so very quickly!!!!