These smoked salmon and cream cheese hors d’oeuvres are the perfect party appetizers. They look fancy but these simple small bites take seconds to make. You can serve them in amuse spoons or individual small pots and they will keep in the fridge for a couple of hours making them great as an elegant easy make ahead party snack.
Aren’t these Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Spoons just wonderful. They taste amazing, so fresh and creamy! But as an added bonus they look so elegant, yet they are so simple to make. You pile the ingredients onto an amuse spoon and your canapé/appetizer/Hors d’oeuvre/Amuse Bouche is finished. How easy!!!
What is an Amuse Bouche and an Amuse Spoon?
So an Amuse bouche is a small single bite hors d’oeuvre. They are generally served with drinks before dinner. You might also call them canapés. The term Amuse Bouche is French and means “mouth amuser”.
An Amuse Spoon is a small ceramic or metal spoon that can be used to serve an amuse bouche.
I don’t have any amuse spoons!
Don’t worry! You can still make this without the spoons. A few options would be:
- Use Chinese soup spoons
- Buy cheap silver teaspoons from the Dollar Store and use those.
- Use small dishes or bowls and serve with forks
Which cream cheese to use?
Any spreadable/spoonable garlic and herb cream cheese will work here. I always pick Boursin as I love the texture of it and the flavor doesn’t taste artificial. But if you have a favourite brand then use that.
There are several flavors of Boursin. The classic garlic and herb is great but look out for the black pepper or shallot and chive flavors, they would also be great here.
Can I use light or low fat cream cheese?
You can, but I wouldn’t.
These cute little spoons come in at 16 calories each. That is using full fat full flavor cream cheese.
Obviously a low calorie cheese will reduce that further, but they aren’t as creamy and the creaminess is so good against the rich salmon.
I can’t eat red onion, can I just leave it off?
YES!!!! These little smoked salmon amuse spoons are so customisable.
- Don’t like red onion – leave it off.
- Don’t have fresh chives – use dill/parsley
- Don’t have lemon – use lime
- Want to make them but trying to keep the cost down – use a smaller amount of smoked salmon and mix it through the cheese.
- Want to make it even more fancy – garnish with caviar
For another super simple Smoked Salmon recipe, why not check out my 3 easy smoked salmon appetizers
Why not pin this recipe for Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Amuse Spoons. Pin it here.
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Hors D'Oeuvres
- 3 oz smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp garlic and herb cream cheese - Something like Boursin
- 2 tsp red onion - finely chopped
- 2 tsp chives - finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Cut the smoked salmon into 12 pieces and arrange them on your spoons or small pots.
- Divide the cheese up between the smoked salmon (~1/2 tsp per spoon/pot)
- Sprinkle over the chopped red onion, chives and lemon zest.
- Garnish with a little cracked black pepper and serve.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love, like these Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Amuse Spoons.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂