This Tomato Risoni Salad (Tomato Orzo Salad) is a super simple salad that is packed with flavour and works as a side or a main meal.
You can add extra veg, meat, cheese what ever you fancy to this salad. It is delicious and perfect for summer or winter!
I know it is Jan 6th, but I wanted to talk resolutions.....did you make any? I didn't 😉 as I don't really believe in them, how can I make a decision on Jan 1 and stick to it all year? I can barely stick to a washing schedule!!!! (Clothes not myself! In case you were grossed out!)
That said, I have told to a few people that my resolution is to find something every day that makes me smile and to eat good food. I think if I achieve that for 2017 then I will be winning! (Wonder how many times the food will be the thing that made me smile!!!)
I am keeping a happiness/thankful journal, because sometimes in life it is hard to see those things, to see the blessing we have.
But the things are there, you just have to look. Some days that maybe hard, some days there may be a million little things that make me smile.
That is what this year is about, acknowledging life, acknowledging that even on the days when I struggle and reach for a glass of wine at 5pm, there will have been something that made the day special (and not just the wine!) because I believe even on the darkest and most awful of days there is always something to be happy about.
Aside from my happy thoughts for today I am also super happy to be sharing this salad with you because:
a) it tastes amazing.
b) it is a salad and salads are the big thing on pinterest during January. (all those new year resolutions!!!!)
c) several people have asked me for the recipe so now I can direct them here.
d) it is PASTA baby!!!!!!
e) it looks pretty.
f) do I need any more reasons?
oh yeah I almost forgot!!!
g) it really does look so prittttteeeeeee!
This makes quite a lot of salad! But it keeps fabulously in the fridge. For those down under with me, it is the perfect side for a summer barbie, for those in the throws of winter, it will brighten up your lunchtime and bring a bit of Spring/Summer into your Winters day.
It is great with grilled meat, fabulous with fish and if you are a vegetarian then it is perfect on its own or with some feta cheese (if you eat it) sprinkled over.
I told you this risoni salad was pretty!!!! So beautiful! Like food art!!!!
If I know I am not serving any vegetarians I sometimes use chicken salt in place of the onion powder, but then I am very careful when I season the dish later on as chicken salt can be pretty salty (its in the name 😉 )
You can mix up the herbs, go with what you have and what you like. I always have basil and parsley at home so they are my goto herbs, but when I have fresh oregano I replace the basil with that. Must get back to growing herbs!!!! I love fresh oregano but you don't see it in the stores very often!!! It is perfect for pasta dishes!!! Like my Pasta with Roasted Fennel and Lemon.
Tomato Risoni Salad (Tomato Orzo Salad)
- 2½ cups orzo pasta (risoni)
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- black pepper
- Small handful fresh parsley - chopped
- Small handful fresh basil - chopped
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil.
- Once you have a rolling boil salt it well (at least 1 tablespoon of salt) and add the pasta.
- Stir and then cook as per the packet instructions. (Check it 2 minutes before the packet suggests I find it cooks quickly!)
- Drain the pasta.
- Dress immediately with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Then mix through the onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Grate/crush over the garlic.
- Stir well and set aside, covered to cool slightly.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half (or quarters if they are big)
- Stir the tomatoes and chopped herbs through the pasta.
- Taste and adjust your seasoning.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.
- Just remember to remove it from the fridge a little before you want to serve it as it is best served at room temperature.