This Spiced Poached Pears and Goats Cheese Salad is stunning in every way! Delicious and beautiful, it can be prepared ahead of time making it perfect for entertaining.
I just love the colour in this Spiced Poached Pears and Goats Cheese Salad! The deep burgundy of the wine poached pears, the pop of green peppery watercress (although arugula works just as well) and then the white of the goats cheese (or you could use feta).
This salad is beautiful to look at and oh some yummy to eat! There is something so satisfying about a dish that looks as delicious and it tastes. They make the perfect dishes for entertaining. Simple to make, stunning to look at and amazing to eat.
And it doesn't get much simpler than this Spiced Poached Pears and Goats Cheese Salad. The pears are poached in a red wine mixture that has is spiced with the flavours of mulled wine. The sweetness and aromatic spices work amazingly with the salty goats cheese.
Once the pears have been poached they can sit in the cooled poaching liquid for up to 24 hours. Perfect for preparing ahead of time! So serve this Spiced Poached Pears and Goats Cheese Salad as an appetizer next time you have friends for dinner and enjoy the praise that follows.
If you love poached pears then why not try these Pears Poached in Tokaj wine with golden raisins and cardamom, from my friend Brian over at Krumpli.
Don't they look delish!!! That is Chantilly cream on top....DROOL!
p.s Tokaj wine is an Hungarian dessert wine. Something Brian knows a lot about.....because he lives in Hungry not because he likes a drop of wine 😉
Pop on over and say hi, he has beautiful photos and amazing recipes.
If you love this recipe for Spiced Poached Pears and Goats Cheese Salad why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest!
I share a lot of food!!!! And quite a lot of other stuff! Come find me today x
Get the Recipe
Spiced Poached Pears and Goats Cheese Salad
- 2 cups red wine
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 star anise
- 3 cardamon pods
- 1 lemon
- 4 firm pears
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups watercress
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 goats cheese logs (9oz/240g total weight)
- Pour the red wine into a sauce pan, add the sugar, cinnamon, star anise,carsamon pods and a strip of the lemon peel.
- Stir it slowly over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Peel the pears, cut them in half and use a teaspoon to remove the core.
- Poach them in the wine for 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the pears to cool in the poaching liquid.
- Mix the olive oil and the juice from the lemon together. Add a tablespoon of the pouching liquid and then seasoning the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Use about half of the dressing to coat the watercress and spinach and arrange it on 4 plates.
- Top each plate with two pear halves.
- Crumble over the goats cheese.
- Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts and serve with the remaining dressing.
Nutrition is per serving