This easy Curry Chicken Salad is so quick and simple to make - perfect for your next picnic or summer get-togethers.
You are going to love how delicious the chicken salad is. Lean chicken, in a wonderfully creamy curried mayonnaise, finished with celery, cranberries, dried apricots, almonds, and fresh chives.
Serve it up on top of a lettuce leaf, in a bread roll, with toast points or just between two slices of bread. You can make this for lunch, as a side at a barbecue, for a baby shower or as a light dinner.
See how easy it is to make this Curry Chicken Salad (VIDEO)
How to make Curry Chicken Salad
This is a super simple recipe where everything is just mixed together.
- Prepare the chicken - I prefer cubes but you can shred it.
- Make the curry mayonnaise dressing (top tip - use a bigger bowl than I did in the recipe video!)
- Combine the chicken and curried mayonnaise then stir well to coat.
- Add in the celery, dried apricots, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and chopped chives, then give it a mix so everything is combined.
- Although you can eat it straight away it is best if left to sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
What kind of chicken do you use to make a chicken salad?
Chicken salad is usually made using wither leftover chicken, shredded rotisserie chicken or canned chicken. But we love this curry chicken salad so much that I often poach chicken specifically for the recipe! (Check out my foolproof way to poach chicken breasts)
Do you shred or cube chicken for curried chicken salad?
This is totally up to you. I prefer to chop my chicken into cubes as I like the texture better, but if your family loves it shredded then go right ahead.
How long does curried chicken salad keep in the fridge?
Assuming you used fresh chicken you can keep this salad for about 3 days in the refrigerator, the flavor will get better and better.
Can curried chicken salad be frozen?
Unfortunately, this doesn’t freeze well, the dressing separates and the celery loses its crunch, so I don’t recommend it.
How to serve curry chicken salad:
- With toast points or crackers.
- In a bread roll or sandwich.
- In a wrap for lunch.
- In lettuce cups.
- Add it to the top of an avocado half.
- In a pastry cup as an hors d'oeuvre.
- Just a bowl of chicken salad and a fork!
p.s This curry chicken salad is very similar to the British classic Coronation Chicken, a dish invented to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. This isn't what was classed as coronation chicken, but the taste is certainly reminiscent of it.
For more delicious salad recipes try:
- Smoked Salmon Pasta Salad
- Spiced Poached Pears and Goats Cheese Salad
- Moroccan Spiced Chicken Couscous Salad Bowl
- Mexican Black Rice and Pumpkin Salad
- 10 Minute Greek Couscous Salad
- Tomato Orzo Salad
Pin this recipe for Curry Chicken Salad. Pin it here.
Curry Chicken Salad Recipe
For the dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream - see note 1
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the curry chicken salad
- 4 cups cooked chicken - see note 2
- 1 stick celery
- ¼ cup dried apricots
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
To make the dressing
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
For the Curry Chicken Salad
- Place the cooked chicken in a large bowl and pour over the dressing. Mix well
- Finely chop the celery stick, then cut teh dried apricots into quarters.
- Add these to the salad along with the dried cranberries, slivered almonds and chopped chives.
- Stir well then refrigerate for at least an hour. (see note 3)
- Heavy cream/double cream/thickened cream.
- 4 cups of cooked chicken is between 2 large and 3 regular chicken breasts, see how to easily poach the chicken here. Alternatively you can cut the meat from a rotisserie chicken.
- You can eat the curried chicken salad straight away but it will definitely benefit from a stint in the fridge. It will keep for up to 3 days, assuming you used fresh chicken.
Sarah Stemper says
Best chicken salad I’ve ever had!
Claire McEwen says
Oh this makes me smile so much 🙂
So happy you liked it and thank you for taking the time to come back and comment
Whoa, my family LOVED this! The curry added a fabulous flavor and the texture of the dried fruit and almonds was terrific!! Thanks for the marvelous recipe!
Claire McEwen says
Oh I am so pleased you enjoyed the chicken salad Liz. I love the dried fruit in this too!
This was the best salad! We brought it to music in the park and all of our friends loved it.
Claire McEwen says
So pleased your friends loved this Sandi! Music in the park with friends and food! What a great way to spend the day!