This Creamy Chicken Chili Pasta is comfort food with a kick. This simple dish packs a punch whilst still delivering a creamy comforting dinner.
Tomato cream sauces are always a big hit and this one is perked up with some garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. So easy to make and quick, you can have this dish on the table in just 20 minutes!
The sauce is thick, rich and has the wonderful spicy kick that will make you go back for more.
It pasta time again!!! You knew it was coming, I mean there have been at least 2 recipes since my last pasta dinner!
And today we have something so creamy and delicious going on. A spicy creamy dinner that is on the table in under 30 minutes.
This is the perfect sofa dinner, you know the ones, when the new season has just arrived on netflix and you want to binge on the sofa, lifting the spoon/fork to your mouth without having to worry about cutting up your food!
For other Netflix Binge Foods check out:
- Easy Creamy Four Cheese Pasta
- Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteaks Sandwiches
- Chicken Sausage, White Bean and Kale Soup
- Takeout Style Chinese Beef and Broccoli
- Lentil Soup with Lemon and Rosemary
- Peri Peri Chicken Breast Burger
- Cauliflower Cheese Chicken Fritters
- Pasta with Chicken Broth, Butter and Parmesan
How to make a Creamy Chili Pasta Sauce
The creamy chili sauce starts with a can of chopped tomatoes, which are cooked with red pepper flakes, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper to make a nice rich tomato sauce.
Then at the end of cooking some heavy cream is added. This works to mellow out the spices and turns your rich chili tomato sauce into a creamy chili sauce.
Pro Tip: Although heavy cream is pretty robust don’t let it come to a rapid boil as you could cause the creamy red pasta sauce to split. It just needs to simmer gently.
How to cook the chili chicken for the sauce.
The chicken is sprinkled with red pepper flakes and then cooked over high heat so it gets some great color and the charred edges, this adds depth to the sauce. Plus cooking the chicken over a high heat also helps to stop it drying out.
Which chicken to use for pasta sauce?
I use chicken breast for this recipe as it cooks quickly, but this is equally delicious with chicken thighs. They will need further cooking to ensure they are cooked through and juicy.
Start the chicken before you put the pasta on and cook for 10 minutes.
I LOVE Spicy Pasta.
If you want to add more heat then you can easily add extra red pepper flakes into the sauce. Start with an extra 1/4 tsp and then taste the sauce. Remember it will be tamed down by the heavy cream.
For even more heat try adding a sprinkling of cayenne pepper to the finished dish.
What to serve with Creamy Chili Chicken Pasta
Side: Serve this Creamy Chicken Chili Pasta with a peppery rocket and parmesan salad. The rocket will compliment the red pepper flakes whilst the parmesan will work well with the cream in the sauce.
Or serve this with fresh warm bread, perfect for mopping up any extra creamy red sauce!
Wine: This chili pasta needs a wine that can stand up to the heat. So go for a medium-dry wine like a Riesling or a Moscato d’Asti. Ideally, serve them well-chilled. For those preferring a red then go for a Barbera or a Zinfandel.
For more delicious Pasta Recipes check out:
- Garlic Butter Pasta with Garlic Chicken
- Pork Stroganoff with Buttered Noodles
- Shrimp Chorizo Pasta
- Pasta with Chicken Broth and Butter
- Lemon Pepper Chicken Pasta
- Roasted Cauliflower Pasta with Creamy Garlic Sauce
- Pasta with Roasted Fennel
- Creamy Pepper Steak Pasta
- Black Truffle Pasta
- See ALL 40+ Pasta Recipes
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this recipe for Creamy Chicken Chili Pasta. Pin it here.
Creamy Chicken Chili Pasta Recipe
For the Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes – see note 1
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the pasta and Sauce
- 12 oz pasta rigatoni/penne
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can diced tomato (14.5 oz/400g)
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh basil
- Cut the chicken up into small bite-sized pieces and season with the red pepper flakes and the olive oil. Set aside.
- Bring a big pan of water to the boil, salt it generously and add the pasta and cook for 2 minutes less than the packet suggests. (It will cook for longer in the sauce)
- Place a heavy skillet over high heat and once it is hot add the chicken. Cook the chicken quickly until golden brown with the odd charred edge, it doesn’t need to be cooked through as it will finish cooking in the sauce.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet then add the extra oil, brown sugar and the crushed garlic and spinkle with a little salt and pepper. Stir well and then pour in the can of diced tomatoes, the dried basil, and additional red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the pasta has cooked.
- Once the pasta is cooked, reserve a cup of the cooking water and then drain.
- Add the pasta and cream to the tomato and stir everything together until well coated, thinning the sauce with pasta water as needed. (usually ¼-½ cup is needed)
- Cook the pasta over high heat for two minutes or until the cream has heated through and the sauce has thickened around the pasta. Add extra pasta water if needed.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil
- Add an extra 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes if you like it extra spicy.