This Pasta with Chicken Broth, Butter and Parmesan is pure comfort food! It is a bowl of wonderful, warming, healing amazingness.
One spoonful and you know the world is going to start looking brighter. A whole bowl and you feel restored.
A super easy pasta soup
This Pasta with chicken broth will become your new favourite simple dinner.
The pasta is cooked in the chicken broth (stock) so it takes on all the delicious flavours. (For a more substantial dinner you can add shredded chicken)
Usually when you cook pasta you use plenty of boiling water and keep it at a rolling boil.
With this recipe to ensure the pasta packs a flavour punch, you want to use the lowest simmer possible. If the broth/stock starts to boil, it will evaporate out of the pan and there won't be enough to cook your pasta fully.
So use a low simmer and you will be rewarded with a comforting bowl of pasta!
If your soup ends up too dry you can add extra broth or water to the pan at the end.
The broth matters
The majority of the flavour in this dish comes from the chicken broth (chicken stock) so it needs to be the star of the show.
Homemade is best, as it has plenty of flavour and that unctuous richness that cartons can't provide.
There are some great store bought options out there, but bottom of my list would be those crumbly over salty chicken stock cubes. They don't taste of chicken, have no goodness in them and really will leave you with a below average dish!
The dish is Pasta with Chicken Broth; the broth is the key!
This Italian classic pasta soup is pure comfort food!
What pasta to use?
This is a traditional Italian dish that usually uses pastina, the small star like pasta shapes.
I didn't have them as to be honest they aren't my favourite, I like pasta with a little more body to it, so I used these super cute teeny tiny tubes.
Risoni/orzo would work well too. I actually planned to use risoni but I realised I used it all up in my Tomato Risoni Salad!!!
Really it works well with any small pasta shape.
Butter is flavor
Don't be put off by the butter in this, it is warm and comforting and just so good.
You can imagine being sat at an Italian kitchen table, feeling a little under the weathered being served big bowls of this by your Italian Nonna!
For more delicious pasta ideas why not try:
- Garlic Butter Pasta with Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Chorizo Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Salmon Pasta
- Creamy Chicken Chili Pasta
- Easy Garlic Bacon Pasta
- Creamy Pepper Steak Pasta
- Black Truffle Pasta
- See ALL 70+ Pasta Recipes
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this recipe for Pasta with Chicken Broth, Butter and Parmesan.
Pin it here.
Pasta with Chicken Broth, Butter and Parmesan
- 4 cups chicken broth/stock
- 2 cups small pasta shapes - pastina/stelline/orzo
- ½ stick butter
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- black pepper
- Salt to taste (you probably won't need any)
- fresh basil (parsley works well too)
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil.
- Add the pasta and stir well
- Turn the heat down to a very gently simmer and cook the pasta as per the packet instructions. Ensure you stir it during the cooking as you are only using a small amount of stock. (see notes)
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove it from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Use a slotted spoon to divide the pasta between the serving bowls.
- Pour over the chicken stock. (See notes)
- Add the parmesan, plenty of black pepper and garnish with your fresh herbs.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂