This juicy Peri Peri chicken burger is perfect for Nando lovers. The homemade marinade takes the humble chicken breast and turns it into a juicy and delicious dinner. Plus the fennel slaw!!! Oh so refreshing and perfect against the slight spicy of the burger.
Whilst this Peri Peri Chicken Burger is perfect for kids and those who prefer their chilli kick mild, it is super simple for chilli lovers to boost the heat with some extra cayenne pepper/red pepper flakes.
I love a good burger, but truth be told giving the choice I would probably choose a chicken burger over a beef burger. Don’t get me wrong I would never turn down a juicy burger with swiss cheese and some grilled mushrooms!!! But a chicken burger is definitely my favourite, whether that is a crispy coated chicken burger or a whole chicken breast burger. For me chicken, salad bread = YUM!!! And this peri peri chicken burger is one of my favourites.
The chicken is marinated in a wonderful mix of herbs and spices along with orange and lemon juice. It is based around my peri peri chicken recipe which has been one of the most popular recipes on sprinkles and Sprouts for nearly 3 years. (The photos probably need updating!)
To ensure the chicken is super juicy I like to batten out the chicken breasts. This means they will cook evenly and also opens up the meat and allows the marinade to penetrate inside.
The beauty of this marinade is it doesn’t need hours to work. The citrus juice speeds up the process.
The chicken just needs 30 minutes in the mixture and it is ready to cook. I don’t know about you but around tea time there is always something else that needs doing!
The school uniform needs hanging on the line, the table needs clearing of lego, pens and tiny pieces of paper. And if all of that has been done there is always a bottle of wine to drink.
poured the wine cleared the table, get the slaw ready and then the chicken will be ready to cook.
This is fabulous on the barbie. But most of the time mid-week I just cook it in a skillet. Because we have given the chicken a good bash, it doesn’t take long to cook. So even with the 30 minutes marinade dinner is ready in under an hour!
You could just add some salad to this, maybe a drizzle of lemon mayo and call it dinner. It will be delicious and yummy and I do it myself when I haven’t got any fennel. But the fennel slaw is a great refreshing alternative. Thinly shaved fennel, shredded red cabbage mixed with a lemon dressing; so simple and so delicious.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Peri Peri Chicken Burger with Fennel Slaw
- 4 chicken breasts
For the marinade
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Juice and zest of a lemon
- Juice of an orange.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes more if you like it spicy
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
For the slaw
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 burger buns
- Lettuce to serve
Start by flattening the chicken breasts.
- Place one chicken breast between two sheets of baking parchment and use a flat meat mallet, or a heavy wooden spoon to lightly whack the chicken. Start at the fattest end, work your way over the chicken until the whole breast is 1/2" thick. Don't hit too hard or the chicken will break.
- Repeat with all the chicken breasts
To make the marinade.
- Place the peeled garlic cloves, lemon juice, orange juice and olive oil into a food processor and give the mixture a whizz until you have a rough paste.
- Add the lemon zest, sweet paprika, black pepper, chilli flakes and oregano.
- Whizz again on a low setting until well combined.
- Pour the marinate into a plastic bowl or large ziplock bag.
- Add the flattened chicken breast and leave to marinate 30 minutes (or up to 3 hours).
Whilst the chicken is marinating make the slaw.
- Remove the outer layer of the fennel and then using a potato peeler, peel thin strips off the fennel until it become too small to handle.
- Finely shred the red cabbage.
- Mix the fennel and red cabbage together in a bowl, with the olive oil and lemon juice, season lightly and set aside.
- Place a heavy bottomed skillet over a high heat and once it is smoking hot add the chicken breasts.
- Sear the chicken for a minute on the top and then turn and sear for a minute on the other side.
- reduce the heat to medium and cook for a further 6-8 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve in buns with some lettuce and plenty of the slaw.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes think you might love, like this Peri Peri Chicken Burger with Fennel Slaw.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.