This Creamy Four Cheese Pasta recipe is so easy to make and will be a hit with the entire family!
Cheesy Pasta is one of the worlds greatest comfort foods and this four cheese version is ready in 15 minutes, as you make the simple sauce whilst the pasta cooks. So much better than boxed pasta.
Quickly Jump to:
What cheeses to use for Four Cheese Pasta
You can use a combination of any four kinds of cheese. We have suggested some provolone, cheddar, pecorino cheese, and asiago. But you can easily substitute in some parmesan, mozzarella, Colby or monetary jack.
You want to try and balance the creamy cheeses with something stronger. This will ensure the sauce is perfectly cheesy.
How to thicken a cheese sauce
This cheese sauce is milk based and then thickened with a roux. Don’t worry about this, it sounds more daunting than it is.
But what is a roux?
A roux is just a mixture of fat and flour. Here we use melted butter. When making a roux make sure the flour has been stirred well into the melted butter. The mixture will look like lumpy wet sand before you slowly whisk in the milk. Add the milk slowly and you will be rewarded with a silky smooth sauce.
Side: This creamy four cheese pasta makes a great side dish. We would suggest serving this with a seared steak (or large mushroom) and an arugula salad. Dress the salad simply with some extra virgin olive oil and shave over a little pecorino or parmesan.
Wine: This cheese pasta is perfect for pairing with a variety of wines. Try crisp dry whites such as Verdicchio or Soave to cut through the richness. Or pick a light unoaked Chardonnay to enhance the rich butteriness.
If you prefer a red then pick a lighter red such as Merlot or if you can find it a Barbera.
For two other great pasta side dishes why not check out my No Cream Italian Herb Pasta or for a creamy side this Easy Creamy Herb Pasta
All three of these pasta dishes are great served with a steak or a chicken schnitzel.
And for more delicious Pasta recipes check out these:
- Garlic Butter Pasta with Garlic Chicken
- Creamy Tomato Chicken Chorizo Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Salmon Pasta
- Shrimp Chorizo Pasta
- Pasta with Chicken Broth and Butter
- Easy Garlic Bacon Pasta
- Creamy Pepper Steak Pasta
- Black Truffle Pasta
- See ALL 60+ Pasta Recipes
Pin this recipe for Creamy Four Cheese Pasta. Pin it here.
Get the Recipe
Creamy Four Cheese Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb short pasta - see note 1
- ½ stick butter
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese - see note 2
- ½ cup shredded provolone cheese - see note 2
- ½ cup shredded pecorino cheese - see note 2
- ½ cup shredded asiago cheese - see note 2
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- Bring a pan of water to a boil, salt it generously and then cook the pasta until al-dente.
- Reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water and then drain.
- While the pasta is cooking add the butter to a small saucepan and melt over medium-low heat.
- Once melted add in the flour and whisk to combine.
- Whisking the sauce and slowly pour in ½ cup of the milk. Continue whisking and adding milk until you have added it all. Then cook and whisk for 4 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Add in the shredded cheeses one by one and then stir gently to melt them into the sauce.
- Stir in the dried basil and parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce adding a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water to ensure the sauce coats all the pasta equally.
- Add more cooking water as needed.
- Serve as a side or a main meal.
- For this recipe I love to use cavatappi, I am just in love with the spirals! But this works just as well with macaroni or penne.
- You can use any combination of cheese you like. Just pick 4 you love, or 3 and have three cheese pasta. You want to include something strong and also something melty. But use what cheese you can find. Shredded at home does work best as it isn't coated in non-caking agents. These non-caking agents can make the sauce seem chalky.
- Monetary jack
Nutrition is per serving