This pork stroganoff is the best kind of comfort food! Tender pork, cooked with mushrooms and onions in a creamy sauce.
It’s delicious, filling and completely made with fresh ingredients! Plus it comes together in 15 minutes.
And I learnt this recipe from Rick Stein, so I feel it is a recipe that needs no other recommendations 😉
How to make stroganoff without canned soup.
So often I see recipes for stroganoff that start with a can of mushroom soup concentrate, but in reality this Pork Stroganoff with Buttered Noodles is so simple that you can forgo the can of soup and serve up a delicious, comforting and elegant meal, made completely with fresh ingredients.
The sauce is sour cream and it gets it’s flavour from the mushrooms, onions and paprika.
What to serve with stroganoff?
I like to serve this pork stroganoff with buttered pappardelle, although any pasta is good here.
But stroganoff is equally good with rice, bread and salad or the more traditional side of very thin cut chips.
How to make pork stroganoff from scratch.
I classify this Pork stroganoff as simple, but a quick look at the recipe could imply otherwise; the method below looks quite long, but don’t let that put you off, it really isn’t. The short version goes like this:
- Fry the onions and mushrooms in a paprika infused butter.
- Stir fry the pork until just cooked
- Simmer it all for a minute or so in some sour cream.
- Add a bit of lemon and pepper
- Dinner is served.
The key is not to over cook the meat, it needs a minute or so in the hot pan and then another minute in the hot sauce. Simple.
What meat can I use in stroganoff?
You can make stroganoff with:
- Just mushrooms
Whilst Beef Stroganoff might be more traditional, this pork version is so delicious that I am certain you will make it again and again.
Using pork loin steaks not only means the dish is quick to make it also means the meat is so juicy and tender. If you enjoy tender juicy pork then you may also want to check out my Pork Tenderloin with Beans and Bacon. It is another super quick but super elegant main course!
You can also make this dish with chicken, but you will need to cook the meat for longer to ensure it isn’t pink in the middle.
Or for vegetarians, omit the meat completely, just triple the mushrooms in the recipe, skip the cooking of the meat stage and following the remaining instructions as normal.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this Pork Stroganoff with Buttered Noodles for later. Pin it here
Pork Stroganoff with Buttered Noodles
- 1 onion
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika (optional if you haven’t got any leave it out)
- 10 oz button mushrooms
- 1.5 lb pork loin steaks (or pork stir fry pieces)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup soured cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- handful of parsley leaves (finely chopped)
For the noodles
- 14 oz pappardelle (or any long pasta)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the salt and then cook the pappardelle as per the packet instructions (set a timer)
- When cooked drain well, add the butter and use tongs to gently lift and turn the pappardelle until the butter has melted and coated them.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, peel and slice the onion, set to one side and slice the mushrooms
- Add the butter and oil to a large frying pan and melt over a medium heat.
- Add the paprika, smoked paprika and onion. Mix well and cook slowly until the onion is translucent and soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes over a low heat.
- Whilst the mushrooms are cooking, cut the pork into thin strips .
- Transfer the onion and mushroom mixture to a plate and set aside.
- Use the same pan and add 1 tbsp of the oil until very hot.
- Add half of the pork and stir fry for about a minute. Transfer this to the onion plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and cook the other half of the pork, again for 1 minute.
- Tip everything back into the pan and stir well.
- Add the sour cream, salt and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 2 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Add the pepper, lemon juice and check if it needs salt.
- Serve with the buttered pappardelle and sprinkle with parsley.