Smoky spicy chicken, with a cooling mint yogurt all sat on a cucumber disk. These Tandoori Chicken & Yogurt Cucumber Bites are a flavor packed hors d’oeuvre (canapé) that are great for entertaining as they can be made in advance and served at room temperature.
Plus these are Keto, low carb and gluten free. That is a party hors d’oeuvre that covers a lot of bases!
The paprika stained chicken has been marinating. The flesh so perfectly infused with color and flavor. Homemade tandoori chicken, ready for the grill.
As the chicken hits the bars, the smell is instant. Smoke, spice and something slightly sweet. They sizzle, hiss and you are instantly hungry.
The marinade is thick, coating the chicken and giving you plenty of opportunity to savour the intense aromas, a spice trail adventure in your own backyard.
As you turn the chicken, the deep onyx lines are charred beautifully onto the flesh. A few more minutes of sizzling and the chicken is cooked to perfection.
You can’t resist a taste, the fragrance of lemon hits you first, then woody heady spice of garam masala and the tingle of cayenne.
HomemadeTandoori Chicken, check!
Can you make chicken Tandoori without a tandor oven?
YES! You can use the power of your outdoor grill (or BBQ) to recreate the heat and smoke of a tandor oven. If it is freezing outside or you don’t have an outdoor grill then you can use a grill pan on the hob. Just make sure you have that grill pan super hot.
The trick to homemade tandoori chicken is getting the char on the chicken. This gives you the classic tandoori flavor. But you want to ensure the chicken is cooked through as well.
If you are using the grill then have the heat medium high and let it warm up for a good 15 minutes before you cook the chicken. Once you have put the chicken on the bars, don’t touch it. Let it cook, if you lift it too soon the chicken will stick to the bars.
If you are doing it on a grill pan, have the heat under the pan set on high and let the pan heat up for a good 5 minutes. Then add the chicken and turn the heat down to medium. Again don’t touch the chicken, let it cook until it natural releases itself from the pan.
What gives tandoori chicken the red colour?
I was told by the mother of an Indian friend that as well as the spices she often uses a special food colouring to get the red color on her tandoori chicken.
Because I am clumsy and I always end up staining my fingers and benchtop when I use food colouring, I like to avoid the food colouring route. But I have included it as an optional ingredient in the recipe. Even without food coloring you can still get a beautiful orange red color.
I marinade the chicken for 10 minutes in lemon juice and paprika to give it a beautiful color. You can add your food coloring at this stage if you like.
For other great recipes, that will go well with these Tandoori Chicken & Yogurt Cucumber Bites, try serving these options at your next party:
- Cucumber Mousse And Dill Shrimp Bites
- Hot and Spicy Chicken Skewers
- Blue Cheese Bruschetta with Cherry Salsa
- Thai Chicken Salad Wonton Cups
- Smoked Fish and Sweetcorn Tartlets
Why not pin this recipe for these Tandoori Chicken & Yogurt Cucumber Bites for later. Pin it here.
Tandoori Chicken & Yogurt Cucumber Bites
For the chicken
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 drops red food coloring optional
- 2 skinless chicken thighs
For the marinade
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 inch ginger - grated
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
For the mint yoghurt sauce
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 cucumber
- Fresh cilantro
To make the chicken
- Mix the lemon juice, paprika and food coloring (if using) in a non-metallic dish. Add the chicken thighs and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is soaking in the lemon, mix the marinade ingredients together.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and set aside for at least an hour (or a max of 24)
- To cook on the grill:
- Heat the grill (medium high) for 15 minutes before you cook the chicken. Place the marinated chicken directly onto the bars and grill for 8 mins without moving and then flip the chicken and cook for a further 8 minutes.
- To cook on the hob:
- Place the grill pan over a high heat and let it get hot for 5 minutes. Then add the chicken and turn the heat down to medium, cook the chicken for 8 mins without moving and then flip the chicken and cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside to cool. Then cut into small cubes.
To make the Mint Yogurt Sauce
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Cut the cucumber into thin disks and set them on a serving platter.
- Add a cube of chicken to each dish and drizzle over a small amount of yogurt sauce.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed.