Lemon and Basil Gin and Tonic | Gin and lemon is such a classic combination but the addition of herbaceous basil means this Gin and Tonic pops with a wonderfully different flavor. This lemon and basil G&T is refreshing and unusual take on your normal G&T.
I am a big lover of a gin and tonic, but the creator in me is always trying to come up with new combinations of garnishes and flavor boosters.
Plus the different botanicals you add to the drink mean you can match your gin and tonic to your snacks!
What to serve with a gin and tonic?
- Smoked salmon! The oily fish works so well with the refreshing drink. Try my easy smoked salmon appetizers. 3 recipes that use the same 4 supermarket ingredients and can be put together in minutes. Or if you have some time to plan try my brown sugar cured salmon. Sweet and rich and very addictive.
- Fried Foods. Again the dry freshening G&T compliments these rich finger food. Try your next G&T with these Sweetcorn fritters (from The Chunky Chef) or my all time favourite salt and pepper squid (this recipe from Nigella is the best).
- Asian foods. The spice of asian finger foods works perfectly with a gin and tonic. These delicious spring rolls from Nagi over at Recipetin Eats, are definitely worth a try (p.s fry them they are the best!) or sesame prawn toasts….so good.
- Cured meats. A grazing platter of cured meats, salami, prosciutto, bressola etc works well with a gin and tonic. Plus the delicate flavour of the hams aren’t lost like they are with many aperitifs.
- Pork rinds. A category of their own because thy are just soooo good (also good with beer, cider or water) get the recipe here.
If you are a gin and tonic fan and then check out the other wonderful unusual G&T’s I have on my site.
Why not pin these Lemon and Basil Gin and Tonic for later. Pin it here
Lemon and Basil Gin and Tonic
You can change the measurement from cups to ml at the bottom of this list
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 cup gin
- 1 1/2 cups Tonic more or less to taste
- Garnish: lemon twist and fresh basil leaves
Place the lemon juice, basil leaves and ice in cocktail shaker (or jar with a lid). Shake well to bruise the basil.
Add the gin and shake again.
Strain the flavoured gin into two glasses. Add more ice and top with tonic.
Garnish and serve immediately.
Lemon and Basil Gin and Tonic Anecdote
(aka my recipe ramble for those who love the waffle)
A few days ago I shared a picture on my FB page, that used your birthday to create a different G&T.
There have been some delicious combinations….plus some more questionable ones.!
My birthday G&T is Rose Petal and Tarragon. Which I can tell you is definitely happening soon!!!!
Once that came out well I checked other family members birthdays.
- Lychee and Black Pepper
- Fig and Basil
- Fig and Rosemary
- Passionfruit and Mint
All of which I think I have to try!!!!
Best get to the bottle shop and stock up on gin 😉
If you want to find your Birthday Gin and Tonic, head on over to my FB page and play along.