This homemade taco seasoning recipe is so quick and easy to make! This wonderful mix of herbs and spices will make perk up your next taco Tuesday or Fajita Friday!
Add this to your chicken, beef, pork, or fish for your tacos or burritos! Sprinkle it on veggies or use it to flavor rice or beans. Sprinkle it on soups, add it to salads or use it to make an easy dip for fries!
This taco seasoning mix is made from just a few readily available herbs and spices! The chances are you have all of them in your pantry right now! This mixture is full of flavor and has none of the fillers you find in commercial brands. Plus, you are in control of the spice mix, so you can make it extra spicy or keep it super mild. The choice is yours! So grab a jar, and let's make taco seasoning!!!!
Quickly Jump to:
How to make taco seasoning at home
All you need is a few herbs and spices and an airtight small jar or container.
Shake everything together until well mixed and keep it in your pantry or food cupboard.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sugar (optional)
Find the full quantities in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to use Taco seasoning
This homemade taco seasoning has so many more uses than just tacos!!! Try adding it to:
- Use it to flavor your rice for an easy Mexican Rice.
- Add it to beans.
- Rubbing it on chicken/steak or sprinkling it over shrimp before you cook them on the grill.
- Use it in a marinade for your chosen protein (Check out my Mexican chicken post here)
- Add it to a vinaigrette for a Mexican-inspired salad dressing.
- Mix it with ground beef and form it into Mexican burgers.
- Add it to a broth with some shredded chicken and canned beans for an easy soup.
For more homemade seasoning blends, check out:
- Turkish Seasoning Blend
- Homemade Peri Peri Seasoning
- Homemade Creole Seasoning
- Homemade Simple Chicken Seasoning
- Homemade Old Bay Style Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning Blend
- Moroccan Spice Blend
Get the Recipe
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (see note 1)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine all the herbs and spices into an airtight jar and shake well to combine.
- Store in the pantry or store cupboard and use it within six months.
- You can add more or less red pepper flakes depending on whether you like your taco mix spicy or mild.
Nutrition is per serving