This Spanish Seasoning blend is packed with earthy Mediterranean flavor; think smoked paprika, garlic, onion, a hint of saffron, and a dash of herbs.
Try sprinkling this mixture over chicken breasts, pork, shrimp, or fish for an easy way to perk up your protein. Mix it with olive oil and coat your veggies before you roast them. Or add it to a dish of olive oil as a dipping oil for bread. It's perfect for seasoning your paellas, rice dishes, or a simple tomato salad.
The mixture is made up of a few readily available spices. You may well have them all in your pantry already! So, within minutes, you'll have an aromatic herb and spice mix that can help elevate any dish with authentic Spanish flavor.
Quickly Jump to:
These notes are here to help make this recipe a success; they cover some but not all ingredients. For a complete ingredient list, check out the recipe card below.
Smoked Paprika: I buy the sweet smoked paprika, but if you want to add heat, you can use hot smoked paprika. (although this is much harder to find)
Dried Cilantro: Also called dried coriander leaf. Even if you don't like fresh cilantro/coriander, many people find the dried leaf to taste pleasant. But feel free to leave it out.
Saffron Powder: This is an expensive ingredient but has a powerful flavor. You don't need much. You can use saffron strands and crumble them up into the mix.
Why You'll Love This Spanish Seasoning
These are all just suggestions and things that have worked in our test kitchen, but it is your dinner, so adapt it to suit your family. That is the beauty of cooking; we can all create our own delicious meals.
- Add extra heat: You can add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to add heat. Or use extra black pepper.
- Add Citrus: Add dried lemon or orange zest.
- Add salt and sugar: Feel free to add a teaspoon of each to your blend and skip adding them to your food.
How to use Spanish Seasoning
- Make a marinade for protein: For 4 people, mix 1 tablespoon of Spanish seasoning with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and marinate your protein for at least 30 minutes.
- Dry rub for Protein: Rub ½-1 teaspoon per portion into your meat or fish before cooking.
- Make flavored butter: Add ½ teaspoon per tablespoon of softened butter and mix well. Use this flavored butter to put on top of cooked chicken, beef, or fish. Or toss through cooked rice.
- Sprinkle over vegetables: Sprinkle over your vegetables or potatoes before you roast them. Use ¼-½ teaspoon per portion of veg.
For other seasoning blends try:
If you make this Spanish Seasoning, please come back and comment. You can also tag me on social media.
Any questions about the recipe? Use the comments section below.
Get the Recipe
Spanish Seasoning Blend
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon saffron powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Mix everything well and store in an airtight jar.
- Shake or stir the contents of the jar each time before using.
Nutrition is per serving