This homemade simple chicken seasoning herb blend is an aromatic blend of herbs and spices that turns a plain roast chicken pieces into a delicious rotisserie style chicken piece. Simple to make and you control the salt!
Perfect for chicken pieces or try it on your next roast chicken, on some drumsticks, or mixed it with oil and rub it into some chicken breasts. Or use it as an interesting seasoning for some chipped potatoes.
This simple chicken seasoning will enhance your chicken and add that savory deliciousness to your chicken.
What is chicken seasoning
Chicken seasoning is a mix of herbs and spices that go well with chicken. When combined together they add a savory note to the chicken without overpowering or drastically flavouring the chicken. they just add deliciousness.
You can often buy chicken seasoning in the grocery store, the packets of spice are often a few bucks, and will contain rice flour, various preservatives, sugar and salt.
Making your own means you can control the salt and the sugar and there are no fillers or preservatives that you can’t pronounce!
How to make chicken seasoning
Making your own chicken seasoning is simple! I bet you already have the ingredients in your pantry!
To make this seasoning blend you will need:
- Ground sage
- Dried thyme
- Dried marjoram/oregano
- Dried mint
- Black pepper
- Ground cloves (optional)
These get mixed together in a glass jar and are then ready on hand to season up your next chicken dinner?
Is there salt in chicken seasoning?
There is usually a lot of salt in the store bought seasoning packets. But in my homemade simple chicken seasoning, you’ll find there is no salt or sugar. This gives you total control. It means you can salt your chicken to suit the dish you have in mind.
For example, if you want to rub this into chicken breasts you can leave it to marinade all day without worrying that the salt will draw moisture from the chicken.
How to use chicken seasoning
This chicken seasoning is great on all types of chicken:
- Rub into chicken thighs and then grill them. (Sprinkle the finished thighs with sea salt and a squeeze of lemon)
- Rub into chicken pieces and roast for rotisserie style chicken pieces.
- Mix chicken seasoning with oil and use it as a marinade for chicken breasts.
- Mix the chicken seasoning with butter and push it under the skin of a roast chicken.
- Use as a coating for chicken wings before you grill or bake them.
- Add a little salt and use the chicken seasoning as a homemade seasoning for fries!
- Try this on pork chops before you grill them.
- Add the seasoning blend to ground chicken for delicious chicken meatballs.
- Use as a seasoning for burger patties.
- Sprinkle over chopped potatoes and onions for a tasty potato bake.
- Use as a seasoning for homemade chicken nuggets.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this recipe for Homemade Simple Chicken Seasoning. Pin it here.
RECIPE – Homemade Simple Chicken Seasoning
- 3 tbsp ground sage
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cloves (optional)
- Mix the herbs together and store in an airtight container.