This Healthy Pea Pesto recipe is a twist on a classic; peas replace the traditional basil giving this pesto a wonderful fresh spring flavor.
There are no nuts in this pesto, plus it is ready in under five minutes! So easy, fresh and creamy yet healthy, this pesto sauce is perfect for topping pasta, chicken, or serving as a dip or topping for Crostini or Bruschetta.
This pea pesto is so versatile! I have used it as a great sauce for chicken, fish, and lamb. A sauce that includes one of your vegetables, that is an all in one side dish – making it perfect for busy weeknights.
Plus you can make this with frozen peas, so you are only every five minutes away from this delicious pea pesto.
If you are looking for a basil based pesto then check out my roasted garlic pesto, it has a secret ingredient. Well not so secret, it’s spinach…just don’t tell the kids as it is a secret from them 😉
How to make this Easy Pea Pesto
To make this pesto you will need:
- Peas (frozen are great)
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
Everything gets put into the food processor and pulse chopped until you have your desired consistency.
For pasta, dips and crostini/bruschetta we like to keep this quite chunky, but when using it as a sauce I tend to give it an extra 30 seconds so it gets a little smoother.
Can you use frozen peas to make pesto?
YES!!! In fact I always make this with frozen peas! They are usually so much fresher than the fresh peas!
If you are using frozen peas you can either plan ahead and get them out for 15 minutes so they are defrosted. Or place them in a pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil and then drain. You don’t need to cook them, just defrost them.
Can you freeze Pea Pesto?
Yes, you can. This pea pesto freezes really well. Place it in a sealable container or ziplock bag and freeze it for up to 6 months.
Defrost in the refrigerator and stir through pasta for a quick dinner, or serve it with crostini for an impromptu party.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this recipe for Pea Pesto.
Pin it here.
Easy Pea Pesto Recipe (without nuts)
- 1 cup frozen peas – see note 1
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the ingredients in a food processor and use the pulse button to chop and combine them until you reach your desired consistency.
- Use immediately as a sauce for pasta/chicken/fish, as a dip or as a topping for crostini/bruschetta. Or the pea pesto can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- There is no need to cook the peas, you just need to defrost them. To defrost:
- Remove the peas from the freezer for 15 minutes before making the pesto.
- Blanch the frozen peas in boiling water for 60 seconds.