This Garlic Pepper Seasoning is a delightful mixture of various herbs and spices that can enhance the flavor of your dishes. You probably have everything you need in your pantry.
Once you have this aromatic herb and spice mix, you can use it to perk up many dishes. You can sprinkle it over chicken breasts, steak, pork, or shrimp, mix it with olive oil, and coat your veggies before roasting them.
The mixture is so flavorful and aromatic that it can be stored in the pantry or store cupboard for up to six months, making it a convenient pantry staple. You can adjust the salt and sugar content to your preference, allowing you to control the flavor profile.
Quickly Jump to:
These notes are here to help make this recipe a success; they cover some but not all ingredients. For a complete ingredient list, check out the recipe card below.
Dried minced garlic: You want to use dried minced garlic rather than garlic powder. If you only have garlic powder, use half the amount.
Black pepper: Grind your own or buy cracked or coarse-ground black pepper. The powdered stuff isn't suitable here.
Salt: Feel free to adjust this to taste. You can leave it out and season your food with salt separately if you prefer.
Light brown sugar: This doesn't really add sweetness but balances the other flavors. You can leave it out or use white sugar if you prefer
Paprika: Regular sweet paprika is best.
Why You'll Love This Garlic Pepper Seasoning
These are all just suggestions and things that have worked in our test kitchen, but it is your dinner, so adapt it to suit your family. That is the beauty of cooking; we can all create our own delicious meals.
- Add extra spice: Add extra black pepper or red pepper flakes to add heat to your blend.
- Add Citrus: Add dried lemon or orange zest.
- Add Herbs: Add additional herbs like dried oregano or thyme to the mix.
How to use Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- Make a marinade: For 4 people, mix 1 tablespoon of garlic pepper seasoning with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and marinate your protein for at least 30 minutes.
- Dry rub for Protein: Rub ½-1 teaspoon per portion into your chosen meat or fish before cooking.
- Make flavored butter: Add ½ teaspoon per tablespoon of softened butter and mix well. Use this flavored butter to put on top of cooked chicken, beef, or fish. Or toss through
- Make a salad dressing: Combine ½ cup of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 2 teaspoons of garlic pepper seasoning. Mix well and add to salads. (store in the refrigerator.)
- Sprinkle over cooked veg: Sprinkle over carrots, asparagus, peas, and corn. Use ¼-½ teaspoon per portion of veg and then add a little butter.
If you make this Garlic Pepper Seasoning, please come back and comment. You can also tag me on social media.
Any questions about the recipe? Use the comments section below.
Get the Recipe
Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 2½ tablespoon black pepper (see note 1)
- 2 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon salt (see note 2)
- 2 teaspoon light brown sugar (see note 3)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Mix everything together and store in an airtight jar.
- Grind your own or buy cracked or coarse-ground black pepper. The powdered stuff isn't suitable here.
- Feel free to adjust salt to taste. You can leave it out and season your food with salt separately if you prefer.
- You can use white sugar or leave out if you prefer.
Nutrition is per serving