Easy Pea Pesto Recipe (without nuts)
This Healthy Pea Pesto recipe is a twist on a classic; peas replace the traditional basil giving this pesto a wonderful fresh spring flavor. There are no nuts in this pesto, plus it is ready in under five minutes! So easy, fresh and creamy yet healthy, this pesto sauce is perfect for topping pasta, chicken, or serving as a dip or topping for Crostini or Bruschetta.
Prep Time4 mins
Cook Time1 min
Total Time5 mins
- 1 cup frozen peas - see note 1
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the ingredients in a food processor and use the pulse button to chop and combine them until you reach your desired consistency.
Use immediately as a sauce for pasta/chicken/fish, as a dip or as a topping for crostini/bruschetta. Or the pea pesto can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- There is no need to cook the peas, you just need to defrost them. To defrost:
- Remove the peas from the freezer for 15 minutes before making the pesto.
- Blanch the frozen peas in boiling water for 60 seconds.
Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 97mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 6.6% | Vitamin C: 18.2% | Calcium: 7.8% | Iron: 3.6%