This Black Rice, Goats Cheese and Maple Roasted Pumpkin Fall Salad has it all!!! Nutty sweet black rice, sweet smoky pumpkin, fresh tangy goats cheese, sweet cranberries and crunchy pistachios. Delicious as a main or a side, this is the perfect dish for fall.
This is the second black rice and pumpkin dish I have shared in as many weeks, but I can't help it. I LOVE pumpkin, so when spring hits here (and thus fall hits the states) I jump on that pumpkin train and ride it all the way through 'till thanksgiving (and beyond 😉 )
And Black rice is my latest addiction, regular readers will know I get food addictions!!! Charred lemon is still a favourite, although I progressed to charred lime in this weeks gin and tonic.
(Get my recipe for charred lime G&T with fresh coriander here)
And my pasta addiction hasn't wained in 25 years!!!
But Black Rice is a new one, I love the sweet nutty taste and the fact it doesn't take forever to cook like wild rice or brown rice.
My other black rice salad can be found here. Mexican Black Rice and Pumpkin Salad
I do wish black rice stayed black after cooking, the colour straight from the packet is so dramatic - although I do love the red mahogany hue it has when cooked.
That is what makes this Black Rice, Goats Cheese and Maple Roasted Pumpkin so pretty. You have the gorgeous red/purple rice, the vibrant orange roasted pumpkin, the bright white goats cheese and the flashes of green/pink pistachio. It is a technicolour salad perfect for fall.
Just look at the beautiful colours in this Black Rice, Goats Cheese and Maple Roasted Pumpkin Salad.
Isn't it beautiful!!! It also tastes delicious, which is pretty important 😉
The pumpkin is coated in a glaze of olive oil and maple syrup and then roasted until tender and lightly charred. Sweet tasty chunks of fall yumminess!!!
This sweet pumpkin is paired with creamy tangy goats cheese. OH SO GOOD!!!!
Doesn't this picture makes you drool!!!!!
I made a big batch of this up and once I had eaten pretty much my body weight up, I handed out a couple of boxes to friends for a final taste test.
It was a bit of a hardship to give this Black Rice, Goats Cheese and Maple Roasted Pumpkin Salad away, but sharing is caring 😉
And I know my gorgeous friends appreciate the food and are my most honest critics. This salad could have won awards. The feedback was sensational!!!
I am going to make a side of this for my Thanksgiving menu this year. It is perfect as a side or a vegetarian main. WINNER!!!
If you love this recipe for Black Rice, Goats Cheese and Maple Roasted Pumpkin Fall Salad why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest!
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Black Rice, Goats Cheese and Maple Roasted Pumpkin Fall Salad
- 1 ½ cup black rice
- 1 small pumpkin see notes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp shelled pistachio
- ⅓ cup crumbled goats cheese
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF.
To Cook the Rice
- Place the black rice in a sieve and wash the a couple of times.
- Bring 750ml (3 cups) of water to the boil, salt it and then add the black rice.
- Bring to a simmer, put and the lid and turn the heat to low.
- Cook the rice for 35 and then let it sit off the heat for a further 10 minutes.
Whilst the rice is cooking prepare the pumpkin.
- Cut the pumpkin in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds.
- Cut/peel the skin away from the pumpkin and then cut the flesh into chunky 'pieces'.
- Lay the pumpkin over a lined baking sheet.
- Mix together the olive oil and maple syrup, season the mixture with salt and pepper and then drizzle over the pumpkin.
- Roast for 25 minutes until soft and charred on the edges.
Whilst the pumpkin is cooking prepare the dressing.
- Combine the extra virgin olive oil, orange juice, mustard and maple syrup in a screw-top jar/bowl.
- Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- And shake/stir until well combined
- Take a large bowl, add the rice and tip in the pumpkin along with any remaining oil on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle over the dried cranberries, pistachios and then the crumbled goats cheese.
- Serve with a drizzle of the maple dressing.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes think you might love, like this Black Rice, Goats Cheese and Maple Roasted Pumpkin Fall Salad.
It isn't everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.