This roasted fennel dish is sweet and mellow and the perfect side for any occasion. It is simple to make and takes no effort as it roasts happily in the oven.
Just before Christmas, I asked the world of Facebook which roasted veg recipe I should share with you next.
Fennel won the day, so I am sharing my roasted fennel with parmesan, black pepper and chives.
This is a great side dish as it really goes with pretty much any meat/fish and it takes care of itself cooking in the oven. Probably not the greatest dish for Western Australia today where temperatures are up at 38ºC. But I cooked this back in Spring, when the weather was a bit temperamental, it has just taken me a while to share it with you....no idea why!!!
Fennel is a really underused vegetable, it is often marked down in the supermarket, which suggests it isn't as popular as say carrots or broccoli. But it is delicious!!! I think people are put off by the idea of liquorice or aniseed, but when roasted the fennel becomes sweet and mellow and quite amazing. Please buy some 🙂
Look at this crispy golden roasted fennel, sweet, tender and totally delicious!
The recipe is simple, a bit of seasoning, a bake in the oven and some grated parmesan, a little more baking and a garnish with the fennel fronds and some fresh chives.
Simple, elegant and delightful...(bit like me 😉 )
I like to serve this with a perfectly cooked steak and some soft creamy double butter mashed potato (recipe coming soon!). It is a wonderful and pretty simple meal to prepare, but it just all works so fabulously together. Add a green side salad and you have a great date night dinner. Add an appetiser and you have an easy entertaining dinner!
If you love this recipe for Roasted Fennel with Parmesan, Black Pepper and Chives why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Roasted Fennel with Parmesan, Black Pepper and Chives
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried chives
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375 º F.
- Cut the fronds off the fennel bulbs and then cut each of them in half. (reserve the fronds)
- Slice the halves into 8mm (⅓-inch) slices.
- Pour half of the olive oil over the base of your baking dish.
- Arrange the fennel in a single layer.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- And roast for 35 minutes.
- Check the fennel is fork tender then remove from the oven, sprinkle with the dried chives and grated parmesan.
- Bake for a further 3-5 minutes to just melt the cheese.
- Chop some of the reserved fennel fronds.
- Sprinkle with the fresh chives (and some of the reserved fennel fronds) and serve.