This Cranberry, Pine Nut and Parsley Gremolata Chicken is such a great combination of flavors. Plus it is so quick to put together that you can serve it for a dinner party, date night or after a busy Tuesday.
What is Gremolata?
The word Gremolata doesn't sounds appetizing! I don't know what it is about it but it doesn't do this dish justice. Gremolata is definitely a garnish that is more than the sum of it's parts.
Gremolata is an Italian garnish traditionally made up of minced parsley, lemon zest and garlic. In Milan it is served with osso buco. Although there are now many variation of gremolata and it is served with many different proteins, stirred through pasta or used as a garnish for soup.
Here the gremolata is a mixture of cranberries, parsley, lemon and pine nuts. The sweetness of the cranberry with the creamy pine nuts works so well together and add an extra special twist to the traditional gremolata.
Can you make Gremolata ahead of time?
Yes. If you are going to be pushed for time then gremolata can be made up to 24 hours in advance. If you have time though, the flavors will be much fresher if you make it and serve it within an hour.
To get ahead you can toast the pine nuts ahead of time and chop the dried cranberries. This way to bring the dish together, whilst the chicken is resting you can chop the parsley and zest the lemon. Give everything a stir together and serve.
What to serve with Gremolata Chicken.
If you are making this dish when the weather is a little cooler, I think it works amazingly well with a simple risotto or my no cream herb pasta or if you want something lighter then try a green salad and some warm breadsticks.
Wine to serve with gremolatao chicken.
The sweetness of the cranberry, tartness of the lemon zest and then the strong parsley flavour give this dish so much flavour. But these amazing tastes can flatten some wines. I would suggest a Viognier which will work well with the fruit or for red lovers a Beaujolais will be able to take the lemon and herbs.
P.S If you love chicken breast recipes then why not try these other delicious and simple chicken dinners:
- Roasted Tomato Chicken Breast
- Honey Butter Pecan Chicken
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Breasts
- Easy Persian Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Sweet Cajun Chicken
- See ALL Chicken Breast Recipes
Why not pin this recipe for this Cranberry, Pine Nut and Parsley Gremolata Chicken for later. Pin it here.
Get the Recipe
Cranberry, Pine Nut and Parsley Gremolata Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts - skinless and boneless
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the Gremolata
- 3 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoon toasted pine nuts see notes
- 1 lemon
- Lay the chicken breast out on a chopping board, cover with greaseproof paper and pound the chicken breasts with a smooth meat mallet or rolling pin until it has a uniform thickness.
- Pour the olive oil over the chicken breasts and season both sides with salt and pepper. Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a fry pan over a medium high heat, add the chicken breasts and cook for 7 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, place on a warm plate and cover with foil to rest.
- Whilst the chicken is resting, chop the parsley and cranberries together, add the toasted pine nuts and the zest from 1 lemon.
- Once the chicken has rested for 7 minutes, slice it across the grain and serve with the gremolata on top.
Nutrition is per serving