One pan Greek chicken in a rich tomato sauce packed with onion and capsicums. Baked in the oven and then topped with crumbled feta, briny olives and fresh oregano. This Greek chicken dish is perfect for feeding your family.
Add some buttered couscous, maybe a green salad and some bread and you have a Greek feast!!!!
This Greek Chicken with Feta and Olives has been updated with a great recipe video. Be sure to check it out 😀
Original post from Jan 6th 2016:
Are you ready for the a bold statement? Perhaps the boldest of the year so far. (Guess that isn't hard given we are not yet a week into January).......Stew and I are a perfect match.
That's right! When it comes to a roast chicken we are the perfect pair 😉 I love chicken thighs, as they are juicy and full of flavour. Stew on the other hand prefers the breast meat.
One Pan Greek Chicken with Feta and Olives Video
That is great if we are having a whole chicken but when it comes to buying chicken portions I can't please us both. So I try to mix it up and alternate thighs and breast, although if I am honest it isn't an equal split.... thighs appear more often than breast, well I must teach the boys the virtues of the dark meat!
Some recipes I find it easy to switch between and some the thigh is the very point of the dish. This greek chicken dish is a switcher. I prefer it with thighs, but chicken breast works well. You just need to reduce the cooking time to ensure your breasts don't dry out. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts they will need about 30 minutes in total.
This is a great dish as it uses one cooking pot 🙂 well it uses one assuming you have a casserole/pan that can be used on the hob and in the oven. If not you will need to cook the sauce in a frying pan and then transfer everything to a baking dish.
My boys love this, but they will pick the feta off (Mr 4 also picks out the onions!!!!) so I tend to serve it without feta and then just add it to my plate at the table. We usually eat this greek chicken some greek couscous, or Greek Rice, or Greek Orzo or Greek Lemon Potatoes and always plenty of bread, either a crusty tiger loaf or some turkish bread.
This is also delicious eaten cold 😳 or chop any remaining chicken, spread the sauce and chicken over a pizza base and then sprinkle with feta and bake for a Greek style pizza.
Pin these One Pan Greek Chicken for later. Pin it here
Get the Recipe
One Pan Greek Chicken with Feta and Olives
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/fan forced 160°C/Gas mark 6.
- Roughly chop the onion and capsicums.
- In a large shallow casserole dish (make sure it is hob and oven proof) heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the onion and capsicum.
- Cook for 5 minutes until softened and starting to colour.
- Slice the garlic and add to the onion mixture.
- Stir in the Greek seasoning, add the can of tomatoes to the pan and then wash the can out with about ⅓ can of water.
- Stir to combine, and cook over a low heat until everything is simmering.
- Meanwhile lay the chicken thighs on a plate, drizzle over the olive oil and then rub in the remaining Greek seasoning.
- Once the tomatoes are simmering, add the chicken thighs in a single layer.
- Place a lid (or tinfoil) on your dish and cooking in the oven 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped oregano, olives and crumbled feta cheese.
Nutrition is per serving