This Grilled Apple Cider Thyme Chicken is juicy and full of flavour, slightly sweet from the cider but with a wonderful floral note and savoury grilled flavour.
Who doesn't love grilled chicken?? It is sure fire family pleaser. And this apple cider thyme marinade is the BEST. I don't use that term lightly. But everything about this is just wonderful. It is super simple to make, makes your chicken juicy even after the fierce heat of the grill and it gives the chicken a great flavour.
I know it is glorious sunshine in the northern hemisphere. Perfect weather for grilling!!!!
It is freezing here in Australia today, the wind has been howling and the rain hasn't stopped for a good 24 hours. It is filling our water tanks up, but it did make the drive to school a bit dicy. It is winters days like this that make me wish my little bug car was a bit bigger.
But the cold weather doesn't stop me grilling, grilled food is just better. Rain or shine grilled food tastes better!
The char lines add so much flavour, but you don't have to cook this grilled chicken on an outside grill. A heavy cast iron griddle pan will give you the same effect. Just have your cooker extractor fan on full, or you might find the smoke alarm alerts people that dinner is almost ready 😉
But however you cook it, don't be afraid of getting it hot and add some smoky grilled flavour to it. It balances the sweetness of the apple cider, and grilled smoky flavour just makes people happy, it tastes of summer barbies and days by the pool.
Just look at the super juicy flavour packed Apple Cider Thyme Grilled Chicken. Doesn't it make you want to grab a knife and fork and start eating!!!
The chicken wants to sit in the marinade for at least 4 hours, this allows the flavours to penetrate the chicken. It also gives the salt and sugar time to work their magic and make the chicken super juicy.
I have had great success with placing the chicken and marinade in a zip lock bag in the freezer. It sits happily for a couple of months, then you can grab the bag out and it will continue to marinate as it defrosts. Super simple and perfect when you want a delicious dinner but don't have time to leave the chicken to marinate.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Get the Recipe
Grilled Apple Cider Thyme Chicken
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 chicken boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Peel the onion and garlic, then roughly chop them and add them to a large ziplock bag (or tupperware).
- Add in the apple cider, olive oil, fresh thyme, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, sugar and black pepper.
- Smoosh everything together until well combined and then add in the chicken thighs.
- Carefully turn the ziplock bag over so the chicken is well coated and then place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours (up to 24 hours).
- Preheat the grill or griddle pan. Cook the chicken over a medium high heat for 8 minutes until you have a nice charred crust. Flip the chicken and cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Check the chicken is cooked through and then serve with a garnish of fresh time and some slices of lemon.
Nutrition is per serving