This Witches hair pasta is the perfect dinner for Halloween night. Jet black strands of squid ink pasta dressed with a garlic and chilli oil. Delicious, simple and dramatic. And there is plenty of garlic in there to keep the vampires at bay….well it is Halloween!
If you haven’t tried squid ink pasta before then you are in for a treat, it is a deliciously silky, has a very subtle flavour of the sea and just looks sensational on the plate.
The jet black colour is just perfect for a spooky dinner party. But I would serve this any night of the year!
The method for making the delicious garlic sauce (for warding off vampires!) is simple to make. It starts with good olive oil and plenty of garlic. Make sure you add them to a cold pan, this means the garlic will cook slowly, mellowing the flavour without it burning.
Whilst the pasta is still cooking, take out a cup of the cooking water and add this to the sauce, letting it simmer and reduce slightly whilst the pasta finishes.
This creates a sauce that coats the pasta, but that doesn’t weigh down the pasta, or diminish the fabulous colour!
Come play on Pinterest!
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
This Witches hair pasta is the perfect dinner for Halloween night. Jet black strands of squid ink pasta dressed with a garlic and chilli oil. Delicious, simple and dramatic. And there is plenty of garlic in there to keep the vampires at bay....well it is Halloween! Recipe from Sprinkles and Sprouts | Delicious food for easy entertaining.
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 lb dried squid ink spaghetti
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Finely chop the garlic and set aside.
Bring a large pan of water to a boil, add the salt and cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, place the olive oil and chopped garlic into a large pan.
- Cook over a low heat for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Take a cup measure and remove 1 cup of the water the pasta is cooking in.
- Add it carefully to the garlic oil.
- Let this mixture simmer until you are ready to drain the pasta.
- Reserve a further cup of the pasta cooking water, before you drain the pasta.
- Add the cooked pasta to the garlic mixture and stir well to combine, over a high heat
- Add more cooking water if needed then serve immediately.
Nutritional Information based on 4 servings: