This Witches hair pasta is the perfect dinner for Halloween night. Spooky, dramatic and delicious! Wow your guests or spook out your kids with this great halloween recipe.
This witches hair pasta is so much fun! Jet black strands of squid ink spaghetti are coated with a garlic and chili oil. Delicious, simple and dramatic.
Ready in under 20 minutes this is a great quick pasta dinner. And there is plenty of garlic in there to keep the vampires at bay....well it is Halloween!
Quickly Jump to:
Squid Ink Pasta
Squid ink pasta or Spaghetti Nero (black spaghetti) is a dramatic ingredient for sure!
It is pasta that has been dyed using black squid ink or cuttlefish ink. The most common shape is spaghetti, but you can occasionally find other shapes (like those super pretty multicoloured raviolis that they sell in small Italian delis)
The jet black color looks sensational on the plate and it is just perfect for a spooky dinner party.
But I would serve this any night of the year! Although maybe I wouldn't call it Halloween Spaghetti 😉
What does squid ink pasta taste like?
If you haven't tried squid ink pasta before then you are in for a treat, it is a deliciously silky, has a very subtle flavour of the sea.
Think a little briny and salty rather than fishy.
It is worth a try as it is delicious and fun to eat!
Where to buy squid ink pasta
I find that most gourmet food shops will sell black spaghetti, a well as my local Italian grocery store.
I have seen it in Trader Joe's and of course you can buy it online through amazon.
An easy garlic sauce
The method for making the delicious garlic sauce (for warding off vampires!) is so simple.
It starts with good olive oil and plenty of garlic.
You start with a cold pan and heat the oil and garlic together gently. This means the garlic will cook slowly, mellowing the flavor, but the gentle heat ensure there is no chance of it burning.
Once the garlic has softened and mellowed we add the red pepper flakes. Add as many or as little as you like.
Whilst the pasta is still cooking, we need to take out a cup of the pasta cooking water and add this to the sauce. This helps the oil to truly coat the pasta and gives us a rich sauce without uses excess oil .
Add the cup of pasta cooking water to the garlic oil and bring to simmer, it will slowly reduce and combine while the pasta finishes cooking.
This oil and pasta water emulsion creates a sauce that coats the pasta, but that doesn't weigh down the pasta, or diminish the fabulous colour!
For more halloween ideas why not try:
Get the Recipe
Witches Hair Pasta (Squid Ink Pasta) - A Great Halloween Dinner
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb dried squid ink spaghetti
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Finely chop the garlic and set aside.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil, add the salt and cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, place the olive oil and chopped garlic into a large pan.
- Cook over a low heat for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Take a cup measure and remove ½ cup of the water the pasta is cooking in.
- Add it carefully to the garlic oil.
- Let this mixture simmer until you are ready to drain the pasta.
- Reserve a further cup of the pasta cooking water, before you drain the pasta.
- Add the cooked pasta to the garlic mixture and stir well to combine, over a high heat
- Add more cooking water if needed then serve immediately.
Nutrition is per serving