These ‘snakes tongue’ rolls are sure to be a hit, they are just a little bit scary but familiar enough that kids and adults alike will demolish them. An easy, creepy take on hot dogs, they would make a fun Halloween dinner or a spooky snack for kids before trick or treating. Or if you are on the hunt for savory food ideas for your halloween party then what says “Party Food” more than a hot dog?
How to turn frankfurters into snake tongues
By cutting the frankfurters into thin strips you can create a tongue like strip. Then cut a small slit into the end to give the tongue it’s recognisably fork.
If you can cut the frankfurters so each strip has a piece of ‘skin’ and some internal meat, this way you will find that the tongues naturally curl up when you cook them. Even more spooky!!!
(I admit I am not an expert on snakes tongues. Having a massive phobia of them, I had to ask Stew to google them to check how they were split at the end.)
Once the frankfurters have been cut up they just need frying off in a little oil. They won’t need long in the oil, just enough time to heat through and get a little bit of colour on them. Don’t try boiling them after they are cut, they absorb water and swell, losing their tongue like appearance.
Once cooked stuff them into hot dog rolls. And top.
The choice of toppings is up to you….let your imagination run wild. And please let me know in the comments below how you served these ‘snake tongue’ rolls.
- Fry off onions and call them baby snakes (is that too gross?)
- Add mustard for ‘snake venom’
- Add guacamole for ‘snake slime’
- Add the standard ‘bloody’ ketchup
Why not pin this recipe for Snakes Tongue Rolls – Halloween Hot Dogs. Pin it here.
Snakes Tongue Rolls - Halloween Hot Dogs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 frankfurters
- 8 hot dog rolls
- Cut each frankfurter into long strips then use a small knife to cut 'forks' in the end of each strip. (see note 1)
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan, and once hot add the frankfurter strips.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until hot and lightly colored.
- Cut the hot dog rolls down the centre and top with the frankfurter ‘snake tongues’.
- Ketchup makes a great 'bloody' sauce for these.
- When you cut your frankfurter if you aim to get a little bit of the outside and inside on each strip, when you fry them off the sausage will naturally curl up.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love, like these Snakes Tongue Rolls – Halloween Hot Dogs.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂