These Mexican Pinwheels are a great vegetarian snack, perfect for pot lucks and backyard parties. They travel well and can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Jam packed with flavor these pinwheels are such a quick and delicious party snack.
What is inside the Mexican Pinwheels?
To fill these Mexican pinwheels I like to use a mixture of cream cheese and sour cream, this ensures it stays soft once they have been rolled and refrigerated.
The cream cheese and sour cream is then flavoured with chilies, green onions, shredded cheese, red bell pepper and cajun spices.
Can you make these pinwheels in advance?
They sure can!!! Just be sure to wrap them really tightly so the tortilla doesn't dry out around the edge.
How far ahead can these pinwheels be made?
These mexican pinwheels need at least 2 hours in the fridge, but you can make them up to 24 hours before you need them. My normal time is around 12-14 hours. So I usually make them the evening before a morning tea or lunch party, or in the morning for an evening party.
Like I say above, just be sure to really wrap these well. The edges of the tortillas have a tendency to dry out and crisp up. And no one wants that!!!
Which tortillas to use for these Mexican vegetarian Pinwheels
You want to use flour tortillas for this recipe, they soften well and will keep together when rolled.
I make my home flour tortillas - Learn how to make tortillas.
But if you are buying your wraps them buy the large or jumbo wraps.
My pinwheels always fall apart, what am I doing wrong?
If your pinwheels are falling apart there could be one of 4 things wrong.
- not enough filling
- not wrapping the tortillas tight enough
- not refrigerating for long enough
- the pinwheels were sliced too thinly
To ensure you get the perfect pinwheel:
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the tortilla making sure you get as close to the edge as you can. This will provide a 'glue' for your pinwheels.
- When you start to roll your pinwheel, make the roll as tight as you can. Once you have finished, immediately wrap the roll up in cling film. Ensure this is tight and well sealed. I like to then pinch the ends together and roll it a couple more times so I have a nice tight roll.
- To make sure the pinwheels are stuck together and the tortillas have softened up, refrigerate your logs for at least 2 hours. Remember you can make these the day before so give them time to set.
- It is best to slice the pinwheels into roughly ½ inch slices, don't go too thin as then there isn't enough tortilla in each pinwheel to create a sturdy structure.
If you follows these tips you should find your mexican pinwheels stay perfectly together.
I want to take these to a potluck, how should I do that?
I know we all like to turn up at a potluck with our dish looking fabulous, but the best way to transport these Mexican pinwheels is to keep them wrapped in clingfilm and then slice them when you arrive at your destination.
If you really need to have then fully prepared in advance; slice them, lay them onto a platter and then double wrap the platter with cling film. They should stay together well. Also ensure your slices are 1 inch thick, this will give them more stability when transporting.
For more party snacks why not try:
- Smoked Fish Dip with Cream Cheese
- Posh Party Hummus with Pomegranate
- Zucchini Pancakes with Feta Cream
- What to put on a Relish Tray
- Mini Cheesy Potato Tacos
- 3 Easy Smoked Salmon Appetizers
Pin this recipe for Vegetarian Mexican Pinwheels for later. Pin it here
Vegetarian Mexican Pinwheels - A Make Ahead Snack
- Finely chop the green chili, bell pepper and green onions.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, chopped chilies, green onion and bell pepper.
- Add the cajun seasoning and salt if using.
- Stir everything together until well combined.
- Lay a tortilla on a chopping board and evenly spread about ⅓-1/2 cup of the filling over it. (The exact amount will depend on the size of your tortilla.)
- Roll the tortilla up tightly and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Place all tortillas in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Slice in ½ inch pieces and serve.