These Mini Cheesy Potato Tacos are going to be your new favourite snack food. Cumin spiced onions and potatoes stuffed into mini tacos and then topped with cheese and baked to melty perfection.
This is snack food at its best.
Mini Tacos!!! Can I find them in the shops?
When it comes to finger food mini tacos are perfect, but even the small street sized tacos you can buy in stores are a bit large for these mini cheesy potato tacos.
You really need mini ones.
How can I make mini taco shells at home?
There are two ways. make your own from scratch with this EASY homemade soft tortilla wrap recipe.
OR use store bought tortillas and cut them into mini tortillas!
I like to use a cookie cutter and cut mini tortillas from a large tortilla. With some clever cutting you can get 4 mini tortillas from a regular tortilla or 6 from a jumbo one.
After that it is a case of making the filling a little smaller and you are good to go.
Are mini tacos harder to fill? And how do you keep then together?
I have a handy tip for filling and baking your mini tacos. Use an upside down mini muffin tray. The cups provide the perfect space to fold your mini tacos into, keeping them upright for filling and meaning you can transfer them directly to the oven and bake them. After baking the mini tacos stay together.
How to make the cheesy potato filling
To ensure the taco isn't too dry, I cook the potato and onion in a stock mixture. As the potato cooks it releases some starch and this thickens the remaining stock. You can see from the picture above the potatoes are sort of coated rather than wet.
With the help of cumin, turmeric and paprika, you have a flavored packed potato mixture that spoons easily into your mini tortillas.
Do these Mini Cheesy Potato Tacos keep?
I have kept these in an airtight container overnight and then reheated them gently in the oven. I can't say they were quite as good as fresh from the oven, but I wouldn't ever turn one down 😉
I passed a tub of these to a friend, she and her girls ate them cold on the way home from school, so although I haven't tried it, she assures me they are delicious cold too.
Pin this recipe for Mini Cheesy Potato Tacos for later. Pin it here
Get the Recipe
Mini Cheesy Potato Tacos
- 4-5 medium potatoes (to yield 3 cups when chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 garlic clove - crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3-4 flour tortillas - see notes
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese - I use a mixture of strong cheddar and mozzarella
- Cilantro - for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
- Cut the potatoes into small dice.
- Peel the onion, cut in half and then cut into thin half moons.
- Gently heat the olive oil in a heavy based fry pan, over a medium heat.
- Fry the onion until tender and starting to colour.
- Add the potatoes and give them a good stir.
- Sprinkle over the cumin, salt and pepper and stir well to coat everything.
- Pour over the vegetable broth, bring to a low simmer and them place a lid on the fry pan.
- Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked.
- Remove the lid and stir in the crushed garlic, extra cumin, turmeric powder and sweet paprika.
- Simmer with the lid off for a further 5 minutes until the stock has reduced down and the potatoes coated in a thick saucy layer.
- Remove from the heat and set aside until you are ready to fill your tortillas.
For the taco shells.
- Use a 2 ½ inch (3 cm) cookie cutter to cut 4 mini rounds out of each flour tortillas (if your tortillas are jumbo you will get 6 out of each on)
To fill and cook
- To fill the tortillas, gently fold each disk in half and use an upturned mini muffin tin to keep it upright whilst you fill it.
- Add a spoonful of the potato mixture to each taco and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook the mini tacos for 7-8 minutes until the cheese has melted and the shells have crisped up.
- Serve garnished with cilantro
Nutrition is per serving