Grilled cheese baby!!!!! Is there anything more comforting that a grilled cheese sandwich??? And this shrimp and bacon grilled cheese sandwich takes the humble grilled cheese up a level!
This is a gourmet sandwich!
Oh stretchy grilled cheese!!!!!!! You makes me smile!
Can you believe it is Sunday again!!! This week has flown by in a whirlwind of cooking and not so much tidying or cleaning. If anyone has a cleaning fairy that could do with a challenge then send her my way!!!
For the last few week my blog has been a ‘wing it’ affair. Cook something, post something and close my eyes and hope it goes well.
Usually I am a little ahead of the game. I will have a several recipes ready to post and then I can intersperse those with our daily meals. All meaning I have some flexibility. Not at the moment! For last month almost everything I have posted was made within a couple of hours of the post going live! Which doesn’t sound too bad does it. But it means I don’t feel very in control of the blog, or relaxed about it. Stew says I stress about the blog way too much, but I love my little slice of the internet.
Take this grilled cheese sandwich. I actually haven’t even photographed it yet!!! I have made it plenty of times as it is a favourite of mine back from when I worked in the hotel. So when Grilled Cheese came up as the topic for this weeks Sunday Supper group, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. But finding the time to make it, photograph it has eluded me.
This sandwich is sooooo good. Sweet juicy shrimp, crisp salty bacon and plenty of melted cheese. This was on the bar and room service menus when I worked in the hotel and it was probably one of the most ordered dishes, I would say hot chips with aioli was the top order and then this grilled cheese was joint second with the seared steak and blue cheese open sandwich. (Ooooh that was good! I think I will make that next week!)
Who doesn’t love Grilled Cheese!
Today I am making time (given that it is Sunday and #SundaySupper has to go live on ……Sunday 😉
Currently I am sat in the garden, drinking my coffee, tapping away and watching the kangaroos scare the goat!! Seriously it is quite amusing! Billy (my goat) isn’t afraid of much but he runs away the moment a kangaroo starts to bounce! Luckily the dog is engrossed in a bone (which she must have unearthed as I haven’t given her a bone for at least a week!!!) so she isn’t barking like a loon at the bouncing roos.
All fun and games here!!!
So when I finish my post I am going to get in the kitchen and get cooking so I can eat the sandwich for lunch. Probably with another coffee as coffee makes everything better. Or it certainly makes everything seem better!!! Actually it is lunchtime on a Sunday so maybe a glass of wine?? Or a cider!! Cider or beer would be perfect with this grilled cheese sandwich!!
Grilled cheese, a cider and a lazy Sunday afternoon. Doesn’t get much better than that! (Shush don’t mention the washing I need to peg out!!!!)
Don’t forget to check out all the other fabulous grilled cheese recipes at the end of this post.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
- 8 strips bacon
- 4 slices thick bread
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- pinch onion powder
- pinch salt and pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- ½ cup spinach
- 1 cup cooked shrimp (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp oil
Set a skillet over a medium heat and cook the bacon to your liking.
Set it aside and wipe the skillet out.
Mix the mascarpone with the grated mozzarella, onion powder, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Spread the mascarpone mixture over two of the slices of bread.
Top with the spinach, shrimp and cooked bacon.
Add the provolone and the final slice of bread.
Spread the top of each sandwich with 1/2 of the mayonnaise. (reserve half for the other side)
Heat your oil in the skillet and carefully place the grilled cheese sandwiches in skillet.
Spread the remaining mayonnaise over the sandwich tops.
Cook the sandwiches until the bottom golden brown, about 3 minutes.
Using a spatula or fish slice to carefully flip sandwiches
Cook for a further 3 minutes until the second side is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
For more yummy Sunday Supper Grilled Cheese Recipes check out the other Sunday Supper Bloggers
(Special thanks you Christie from A Kitchen Hoors Adventures for hosting this grilled cheese even)
Sunday Supper Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
- Banana FluffaNutella Grilled Cheese by Soulfully Made
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-Ds Books and Cooks
- The Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
Not You Average ‘Wiches
- Caprese Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups by Carolines Cooking
- Inside Out BBQ Ribs Grilled Cheese by The Freshman Cook
- Mozzarella Stick Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Ramen Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
Protein Filled ‘Wiches
- Avocado Bacon Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Crazed Mom
- Bacon Cheddar Grilled Chip Butty by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Dill Havarti and Salmon by My World Simplified
- Grilled Liz Lemon Sandwich by Crickets Confections
- Reuben Paninis by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Shrimp and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Smoked Brie, Bacon and Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Our Good Life
Sweet and Savory ‘Wiches
- Applewood Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon, Apple, Brie Panini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo with Blackberry Jam by A Mind Full Mom
- Southern Gentlemans Grilled Cheese with Cherry-Bourbon Jam by Gourmet Everyday
Veggie Loaded ‘Wiches
- Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich by My Life Cookbook
- Arugula Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese by Helpful Homemade
- Grilled Brie With Smoky Portobellos and Caramelized Onions by Simple and Savory
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Its easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.