Tender, juicy chicken, crispy on the outside soft in the middle sweet potatoes and beautifully roasted broccoli, all coated in a delicious and easy rub. This Sheet Pan Chicken and Broccoli with Sweet Potato is easy and delicious! A winning combo!
This easy Sheet Pan Chicken and Broccoli with Sweet Potato takes under 10 minutes to prep and then cooks within 30 minutes. And most of that time is handsfree, leaving you to get on with other things.
Perfect for busy weeknights when you need dinner on the table but also need to supervise homework, fold the washing, or sit back with a glass of wine (we all have those days!)
Why you should embrace sheet pan dinners!
Sheet pan dinners have been around for a while, and they are hugely popular. It isn't hard to see why. I mean - Everything cooks together in one tray, meaning there is minimal washing up, and you don't have to stand by the stove while dinner cooks. One pan and dinner is in the oven — such a great dinner option for busy weeknights.
Do we need any other reason to love them? All you need is your oven and a sheet pan or baking tray. Easy prep and easy cleanup!
Oh, on that note Sheet pan dinners are often called tray bake dinners. The incredible language divide! (Tomato tomato, potato potato)
If you love the idea of these, then check out my Peri-Peri Tray Bake and my Mediterranean Chicken Tray Bake.
Making an easy chicken sheet pan dinner
We are going to cook this sheet pan chicken and sweet potatoes at a high temperature to ensure the chicken stays nice and juicy. Plus, it means the sweet potato will get a little crisp on the outside.
Cut the sweet potato into even wedges - this ensures they cook evenly.
Start the sweet potatoes, onions, and broccoli off on the tray.
While the veg starts cooking, mix up the quick marinade/rub for the chicken.
Nestle the chicken tenders amongst the veg and fish cooking at high heat.
Season and serve.
What chicken to use?
So this is a quick cook recipe making it perfect for chicken breasts or chicken tenders.
I like to either buy the tenders or cut the chicken breasts into thick strips. Cutting them like this (or using tenders) makes it easier to nestle the chicken between the vegetables and also helps them cook quickly, keeping the chicken juicy.
Is that broccoli?
Well, no, technically, the photos show broccolini (which I LOVE!!), but when it isn't on special, I use standard broccoli florets. They cook in the time just as quickly.
Can I use Brown Onions?
Yes!! You sure can. I like the pop of red onions, but when they are roasted like this, all onions will take on a delicious sweetness. So use whatever onions you have available. White onions, brown onions, red onions, or even shallots will work.
Easy Chicken marinade/rub.
So while I am all for sheet pan dinners being quick and easy, I am not about to sacrifice flavor!!! No point having an easy dinner if then you struggle to get the family to eat it. That is more stressful than cooking!
So rubbing the chicken with a few herbs and spices can make so much difference.
Oh, and salt, don't forget the salt at the end, it perks up the veg. Don't salt the vegetables when they first go in the oven, or they will start to sweat, meaning they steam cook rather than roast cook. We want the crispy edges here!
So the rub. It is a simple mixture of:
- Olive oil
- Brown sugar
- Dried oregano
These all get mixed and rubbed on the chicken strips. It adds flavor while keeping the chicken tender and juicy.
For more delicious Oven Baked Chicken Recipes, why not try:
Pin this recipe for Sheet Pan Chicken and Broccoli with Sweet Potato. Pin it here.
Sheet Pan Chicken and Broccoli with Sweet Potato
For the veg
- 2 onions – see note 2
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the chicken
- 1.5 lb chicken tenders or chicken breasts -see note 1
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF/230ºC.
- Peel the onions and cut them into quarters.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges. (no need to peel)
- Arrange the sweet potato, onion, and broccoli florets on a large sheet pan (baking tray).
- Drizzle over the olive oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Rub this mixture over the chicken tenders.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and rearrange the veg slightly to make space for your chicken tenders.
- Add the chicken tenders to the sheet pan. Place back in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt before serving.
- If you are using chicken breasts, cut them into equal-sized strips.
- Any large round onions work here. Red onions look especially pretty, but the standard brown or white onions will taste just as good.
Leave a Reply