This Oven Baked Peri Peri Chicken is packed with flavour. The chicken is coated in delicious marinade before being oven baked to a crispy juicy perfection. Get your favourite Nando's chicken at home
"Awesome recipe. Everyone loved the chicken and asked for the recipe. I directed them to your site. Will be making this again"
What is Peri Peri Chicken? And is it Peri Peri or Piri Piri?
Peri peri chicken is a South African/Portuguese dish, made famous by the Nando's chain of restaurants.
Both countries are credited with the invention of the dish, but food historians think it was invented by Portuguese settlers in South Africa.
And the name, is it peri peri or piri piri? Piri Piri is the traditional Portuguese spelling whilst Peri Peri is more commonly used in South Africa.
What cut of chicken is best for homemade peri peri chicken?
I bought a mixed selection of chicken pieces, but you could use all drumsticks or the chicken quarters you can buy on the deli counter.
This marinade would also work with skinless or skin on chicken thighs, in fact chicken breasts would work too, but you would need to reduce the cooking time to ensure the chicken didn't dry out.
More often than not chicken thighs are my cut of choice. They are cheap to buy, easy to eat and always stay nice and juicy!!
Is Peri Peri Chicken Spicy?
Peri peri chicken can be spicy or mild. The beauty of this recipe is the starting mixture is packed with flavor so you won't miss the spice. But if you are a chili lover then just up the red pepper flakes or add some cayenne pepper.
Or if you are serving a mixed crowd add some chopped fresh chillies to the table and let people pep up their own meal.
What to serve with Peri Peri Chicken?
If you are a Peri peri fan then try my Peri Peri Chicken Burger.
For more oven baked chicken recipes check out:
- Easy Garlic Chicken Parcels
- Garlic Greek Chicken
- Dill Pickle Stuffed Chicken
- Easy Cheesy Baked Fajita Chicken
- Baked Chicken with Tomatoes
- See all Oven Baked Chicken Recipes
Pin this Oven Baked Peri Peri Chicken to your Pinterest Dinner Board - Pin it here
Oven Baked Peri Peri Chicken
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon (Juice and zest)
- 1 orange (juice only)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2.2 lb Chicken pieces - skin on
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390ºF.
- Place the minced garlic, lemon juice, orange juice and olive oil into bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the lemon zest, sweet paprika, black pepper, chilli flakes and oregano and mix well.
- Pour the marinate into a plastic bowl or large ziplock bag.
- Add the chicken pieces and leave to marinate for at least an hour but overnight will give you a great flavour.
- Lay the chicken out in a baking dish, sprinkle over the salt and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Carefully baste the chicken with the pan juices and served sprinkled with fresh parsley.
I love Peri Peri chicken. The sweet spicy fresh marinade makes the chicken zing.
I, and I suspect a lot of people, first ate it in Nando's, but this is my own version, it is a bit lighter and fresher tasting, but it has the same lemony chilli kick of the chain restaurant.
For ease on weeknights I oven bake this, but it is delicious on the BBQ as you got extra charring and that flame grilled taste.
This is one of the most popular recipes on Sprinkles and Sprouts and although my photography has improved significantly since I first posted this recipe in 2015, I still love these original photos....they just pop with flavour and yum!