These Passionfruit Cream Pots are a delicious party dessert that can be made in advance. The cream has a silky texture that melts in the mouth plus they are so simple to make. The recipe can be scaled up or down very simply, making them the perfect dessert to feed to a crowd.
These passionfruit cream pots contain egg yolk.
These cream pots are made using egg yolks that are whipped with sugar and then mixed into cream. This is what gives the velvety pillow light texture.
The egg yolks aren’t cooked so if you are pregnant or serving someone with a lower immune system, then please ensure your eggs are from a reliable source. I buy local organic eggs and I am confident in the quality.
If you are unsure about your eggs then skip this recipe and pick a dessert that cooks the eggs like my Chocolate Brownie with Salted panko. Or for something without eggs maybe my Salted Caramel Panna Cotta Pots or some Roasted Peaches with Brown Sugar and Rosemary.
Can I use canned passionfruit pulp in these cream pots?
If passionfruits aren’t in season or you can’t find ripe ones, then you can definitely used canned passionfruit. Just bear in mind that canned passionfruit usually comes sweetened, so you might need less sugar.
If after you have mixed the egg mixture with the passionfruit you find it isn’t sweet enough then you can add extra sugar to the mixture and mix it gently to allow it to dissolve.
If you have fresh passionfruit that aren’t super ripe then use the flesh but add an extra 2 tablespoons of sugar to your egg mixture.
I don’t have shot glasses, what can I make this in?
Shot glasses aren’t essentially here. You can use anything you have on hand.
- espresso cups
- martini glasses
- tea cups
- champagne flutes
- margarita glasses
Or mix it up and use different shaped glasses, that will add some interest to the buffet table.
Just bear in mind that bigger glasses will mean your mixture may not fill 12 portions. But that is no real issue as the recipe is super easy to scale up. Just change the serving size on the recipe card and it will automatically calculate the quantities for you (neat huh!!!!)
Why not pin this recipe for Mini Passionfruit Cream Pots for later. Pin it here
Mini Passionfruit Cream Pots
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp triple sec
- 1 lime
- 6 ripe passionfruits
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Place 12 shot glasses into the fridge to chill.
- Zest the lime and set it to one side.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the yolks and sugar together until the sugar dissolves the yolks have doubled in size. The mixture should be light and fluffy. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the triple sec, the juice of the lime and the flesh of 4 of the passionfruits. Whisk well to combine.
- In a clean bowl whip the cream until it forms soft peaks that hold their shape.
- Reserve 1 cup of the whipped cream (1/4 of the mixture).
- Give your egg mixture a quick stir and then gently fold it into your cream mixture.
- Spoon the passionfruit cream into your chilled shot glasses.
- Spoon the reserved cream on top and finish with the flesh from the 2 remaining passionfruits and a sprinkling of the lime zest.
- Chill until needed.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love, like these Mini Passionfruit Cream Pots.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂