Deliciously gooey fudgy chocolate brownies, topped with a layer of salted panko. These sweet and salty bites are the perfect end to an evening. The brownie is rich and fudgy whilst the salted panko adds a great crunch and that all important salt for the perfect salted sweet treat.
I think every party needs something sweet to round out the night.
So many people love sweet treats! I know I am the savoury girl and I will hang around the cheese and biscuits platter. But I know that for many people a meal or party isn’t over until the sweet bites have arrived.
There is a train of thought that a sweet treat also signifies the end of a party and is the food equivalent of turning the lights on at the school disco. I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!!
I like there to be food right up until the last guest goes! I never want someone to leave my house wishing for more food.
That is why no matter what kind of party I am having there will always be some extra cheese in the fridge and a tupperware of oven ready treats in the fridge/deep freeze.
More than once I have heated up some Thai meatballs at 1am! Or made my cheesy toast bites for the remaining few friends.
Brownies are a stable in our house, mostly because I love them! And I am convinced that everyone else does too!
Cut small and served at the end of a party they are the perfect sweet treat that you can guarantee will disappear.
My go-to gooey chocolate brownies and my white choc chip fudgy brownies are always on my list when I throw a party. But I don’t want to get known as a one-trick brownie pony so I have been experimenting with different brownie ideas. (And different sweet treat ideas!)
These Chocolate Brownies with Salted Panko were a slow burner, for me it was love at first bite. The kids were not convinced and Stew was firmly in the camp of ‘why do you have to give everything sweet a savoury/salty overhaul?’ (He is a total sweet tooth!!!!)
I almost decided against sharing them with you. But I know I am not alone in my love of sweet and salty treats.
So I made one more batch and handed it out to friends, there were a couple of people who didn’t enjoy the crispy salty edge, but overall the feedback was good.
So if you love super sweet sweet treats these might not be for you, but for those of you who love the mix then give these a go. I think they are divine salty sweet treats.
Come play on Pinterest!
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Chocolate Brownies with Salted Panko
For the browines
- 1 cup AP flour/plain flour (165g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (30g)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup salted butter (115g)
- 1 1/3 semisweet chocolate chips/dark chocolate (225g)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (300g)
- 3 eggs
For the topping
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (50g)
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 175ºC/350ºF.
- Line a small baking tin with cooking paper.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together in a bowl and stir gently to combine and break up any lumps.
- Cut the butter into chunks and tip into a seperate glass bowl. (see notes)
- Add the bittersweet chocolate to the butter and place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Make sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water, then stir occasionally until the chocolate and butter have melted together.
- Once the chocolate has melted add the sugar to the chocolate in two equal(ish) batches. Stir the chocolate mixture well between the additions.
- Crack the eggs into the chocolate one at a time, stirring between each egg until completely smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared tin and smooth over the top.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the panko, olive oil and salt.
- Spread the panko mixture over the top of the brownie and bake for 25 minutes.
- After this time lightly tent with foil and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the baking pan, then cut into bite sized pieces.