These Individual Strawberry Trifles are decadent, rich and oh so delicious. Sherry soaked sponge, sweet strawberry compote, creamy vanilla custard all topped with a pillow of whipped cream. All served as an individual serving! Who could resist that?
Why make individual desserts?
These Individual Strawberry Trifles are a great way to serve trifle.
So often trifle bowls are large and designed to serve at least 8-10 people. Perfect if you are serving a crowd, but if you just have 4 for dinner, you either have to serve double portions or eat trifle for breakfast the following morning.
Quickly Jump to:
(Shush!!! It has been known to happen in our house 😉 )
But with these individual strawberry trifles you have a beautiful pre-portioned, prepare ahead dessert for your next dinner party.
What is more, if you are serving kids (or people who can't/don't drink alcohol) you can easily prepare one or more using fruit juice rather than sweet sherry.
Which alcohol to add to trifle
I like to use sweet sherry here as the cake soaks everything up and a dry sherry just doesn't taste as nice. If you only have dry sherry at home then a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar mixed through it can make all the difference to this dessert.
A sweet madeira would also be delicious.
Can you make Trifle without alcohol?
You sure can, you can just replace the sherry with fruit juice. I would use sweetened apple juice so the cake layer stays cake coloured.
But if you aren't worried about the color of the cake then a cherry or sweetened cranberry juice would work well too.
What custard to use for trifle?
For the custard layer in these individual trifles, I use my Easy, Made from Scratch Custard. It is simple to make at home, but a good thick store bought custard will work just as well.
Does trifle have cake in it?
You can make trifle with sponge cake, spring fingers, ladyfingers (savioardi cookies), madeira cake, or a loaf cake.
Here I use a store bought vanilla sponge as it saves on time and the addition of alcohol adds enough moisture and flavor, that you don't miss the homemade element.
For other individual pot desserts try:
- Salted Caramel Panna Cotta Cups
- Individual Tiramisu
- Passionfruit Pots
- Easy Chocolate Pots
- No Bake Mini Raspberry Cheesecake (I just make sandwiches)
Pin this recipe for Individual Strawberry Trifle. Pin it here.
Get the Recipe
Individual Strawberry Trifle
- 1 small sponge cake
- 3 tablespoon Strawberry jam
- 2 cups custard
- 200 g fresh strawberries
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 6 tablespoon sweet sherry - see note 1
- 2 cups whipping cream
- icing sugar - for dusting
- Cut the cake in half and use the jam to sandwich the slices together.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut 4 circles out of the cake and place them into 4 glasses. Cut the remaining cake up and fill the gaps.
- Spoon a tablespoon and a half of sherry into each glass.
- Reserve 4 strawberries and then hull the remaining strawberries and cut them into quarters.
- Divide the cut strawberries amongst the trifles.
- Sprinkle over the lemon zest over the strawberries.
- Spoon over the custard.
- Pour the whipping cream into a bowl and whisk until it forms soft peaks.
- Spoon this over the custard and garnish with a cut strawberry and a dusting of icing sugar.
- If you haven't got sweet sherry dissolve a tablespoon or two of brown sugar into your dry sherry. Alternatively use sweetened apple juice if you wish to make these alcohol free.
Nutrition is per serving