Made from scratch custard - It’s easy to make, tastes delicious and is made on the hob in just a few minutes. A delicious and easy way to perk up your desserts.
Making custard from scratch isn't as scary as some people think. The trick is to temper the eggs first. This just means heating them up so that when you add real heat they don't turn into scrambled eggs.
I do this by gently heating the milk first. It should feel warm when you place your finger in it, but not uncomfortably hot.
Adding this to the whisked egg yolks will temper them and means they are much less likely to scramble when you put the custard on the hob.
Come play on Pinterest!
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Get the Recipe
Easy Made from Scratch Custard
- 4 egg yolks at room temperature
- 4 teaspoon cornstarch cornflour
- 2 tablespoon sugar See notes
- 2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the egg yolks to a large jug and whisk in the cornflour and sugar.
- Pour the milk into a small sauce pan, add in the vanilla extract and heat until it is warm but not hot. You should be able to put your finger in and hold it there.
- Remove the milk from the heat and pour it slowly into the egg mixture, stirring whilst you do.
- Tip the egg and milk mixture back into the sauce pan and use a whisk to whisk it constantly whilst you bring it to a boil.
- Once it reaches boiling, remove from the heat and keep whisking until the custard is thick.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a jug to cool down, ensuring you push a layer of cling wrap onto the custard surface to prevent a skin forming.
Nutrition is per serving