This Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta is so easy to make and is sure to please the whole family.
Succulent juicy pan fried chicken breast smothered in a creamy bacon sauce and sat on a bowl of pasta. This chicken bacon pasta is comfort food at its very best.
Plus it is ready in under 30 minutes! So delicious, so quick and so easy!
How to Make the Chicken Fillets
The recipe uses 2 chicken breasts for 4 people, but rather than slice the chicken into the dish it is nice to serve a crispy fillet on the side. It adds more texture to the dish and stops it being 'just a bowl of pasta'.
To do this take the chicken breast and slice it horizontally through the middle so you end up with 4 chicken fillets. You can read more about this here in "How to Fillet Chicken Breasts".
Once you have the chicken fillets they are dredged in a seasoned flour and then cooked over a medium heat to get them crispy and golden but still juicy and succulent.
Be sure to add the salt and garlic powder to the flour mixture, it adds a great deal of flavour to your chicken and the final dish.
PRO TIP: Dredging means to lightly coat in flour.
To do this:
- Tip the flour and seasonings into shallow dish (a pie plate works well)
- Mix them thoroughly.
- Roll the chicken breasts in the flour until completely coated in the flour.
- Shake off excess flour.
How to make the Creamy Bacon Sauce
The creamy bacon sauce is packed with flavour yet simple to make:
Start by cutting the bacon into thin strips - this makes it nicer to eat as you get a good meaty chunk rather than small pieces floating in the sauce.
Don't be afraid to cook the bacon over a high heat - the crispy edges and juices stuck to the bottom of the pan are what turns the plain cream into a true bacon sauce.
Add the half and half and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally - really scrape the bottom of the pan when you add the half and half this gets all the delicious crispy bacon bits off the bottom of the pan and makes the whole sauce taste of bacon.
Add the parmesan slowly - this allows the cheese to slowly melt into the sauce and gives a much creamier finish.
Thicken the sauce by slowly stirring in a cornstarch slurry - a slurry is cornstarch mixed with cold water. Adding this slowly to the sauce will thicken it without lumps.
What to serve with Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta
Side: Although the rich nature of the creamy bacon sauce suggests a salad would be a good side (and it would be) all that sauce really needs some ciabatta/bread to mop it up!
Wine: If you can find it an Italian Gavi di Gavi would be the perfect match to this creamy bacon pasta. If not then go for a good Pinot grigio or a dry Soave both will compliment the creamy bacon sauce without overpowering the flavour. For the red lovers a Teroldego or a light Pinot Noir would drink well with this.
For more delicious pasta recipes:
- Garlic Butter Pasta with Garlic Chicken
- Shrimp Chorizo Pasta
- Pasta with Chicken Broth and Butter
- Creamy Rosemary Chicken Pasta
- Roasted Cauliflower Pasta with Creamy Garlic Sauce
- Pasta with Roasted Fennel
- Creamy Pepper Steak Pasta
- Pork Stroganoff with Buttered Noodles
- Black Truffle Pasta
- See ALL 60+ Pasta Recipes
Pin this recipe for Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta. Pin it here.
Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta Recipe
For The Chicken:
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- black pepper
For The Pasta:
- 10 oz pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz bacon
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1-½ cups half and half (or whipping cream)
- ½ cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to create 4 fillets.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off excess any excess and then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet.
- Fry the chicken for 3 minutes on one side and then slip and cook for a further 3 minutes. The chicken should be golden and cooked through (thicker chicken breasts may need 4 minutes a side)
- Whilst the chicken is cooking bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Salt it generously and cook the pasta as per the packet.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking make the sauce.
- Slice the bacon into thin strips and add it to the pan the chicken was cooked in.
- Fry the bacon until it starts to crisp then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet and add in the half and half. Bring to a gentle simmer and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the parmesan cheese to the sauce and simmer gently until the cheese has melted.
- Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water add it to the cream sauce then mix through until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove a cup of pasta cooking water and then immediately drain the pasta
- Add the pasta to the sauce and thin with a little of the cooking water. Stir over the heat for a minute and then serve with the seared chicken.