Sweet and sour grapefruit paired with the mild anise flavor of fresh basil. This Charred Grapefruit and Basil Gin and Tonic is a must for all G&T lovers. Not only does it taste amazing, it just looks sensational. Perfect for the cooler months when grapefruits fill the shops.
It is no secret that I love charring citrus fruits! One of the most popular cocktails on my blog is my delicious Charred Lemon Gin and Tonic. Following a close second there is my Charred Lime G&T. Both killer drinks and ones that make a regular appearance on a
Monday Friday night!
As I went through my G&T archive to find these two I realised I am also no stranger to adding fresh herbs to my G&T creations, as well as the rosemary and cilantro in the ones above, I have my Lemon and Basil G&T, my Orange and Thyme G&T and the more classic addition of Mint in my Blueberry G&T.
What can I say I am a gin and tonic lover! But I am also a food lover….I can’t help myself, I like to add a bit of this and a bit of that to my drinks.
I love red grapefruit (also known as pink grapefruit) but a regular yellow grapefruit works just as well here.
Why not pin this recipe for Charred Grapefruit and Basil Gin and Tonic for later. Pin it here
Charred Grapefruit and Basil Gin and Tonic
- 1 thick wedge red grapefruit
- 1/4 cup gin
- 1 cup ice
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup tonic
- Additional basil for garnish
- Put a cast iron fry pan/heavy based non-stick fry pan over a high heat and leave it to get hot.
- Once the pan is hot add the grapefruit wedge, flesh side down and let it get a good smoky char, turn and char on the second side.
- Remove from the grapefruit from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Pour the gin, ice cubes and the basil leaves into a cocktail shaker/mason jar/ jug.
- Shake or muddle the basil to bruise the leaves and release the flavours.
- Pour the infused gin into your glass.
- Add additional ice, top up with chilled tonic water add your charred grapefruit and a sprig of basil.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love, like this Charred Grapefruit and Basil Gin and Tonic.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂