These Hedgehog Roasted Rosemary Potatoes are the most delicious and beautiful side dish. Crispy on the outside, buttery and soft inside and packed with rich rosemary flavours, they are a dinner time treat and would be perfect for any occasion.
Aren’t they just beautiful! I love how these roasted rosemary potatoes fan open as they cook. This allows the buttery juices to get inside the potatoes and creates super crispy edges. Hence the name hedgehog roasted rosemary potatoes, because well, they have a hedgehog affect. Sort of??? Maybe??
These hedgehog potatoes are a take on a hassle back potato. Something I have been eating since my childhood!
To create the hedgehog effect you place the potato on a chopping board and place a wooden spoon either side of it. Then as you slice the spoon handles stop you cutting all the way through. Rotate the potato by 90º and cut again to create the fabulous hedgehog effect.
Then the potatoes are coated in a mixture of butter and oil, spiked with rosemary and garlic powder. In the recipe I use dried rosemary and garlic powder. I have tried fresh and they burn before the pottatoes are cooked, which makes everything taste slightly bitter. Using dried herbs, you get the flavour in the butter and oil but they don’t burn. Then just finish the dish with a little fresh rosemary.
Check out the video and see how easy these Hedgehog Roasted Rosemary Potatoes are!
Why not pin this recipe for Hedgehog Roasted Rosemary Potatoes for later. Pin it here
Hedgehog Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp flaked sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC/400°F .
- Place a potato on the chopping board and lay a wooden spoon handle either side. Cut slices into the potato, using the spoon handles to stop the knife cutting all the way through.
- Turn the potato and cut in the opposite direction to create the squares.
- Repeat this cutting process with the remaining potatoes.
- Mix the melted butter, olive oil, dried rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add in the potatoes and stir until the potatoes are covered in the butter.
- Tip the potatoes onto a lined baking tray and bake for 40 minutes until they are golden and crispy on the outside and tender within.
- Sprinkle with the chopped fresh rosemary and sea salt flakes.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love, like these Hedgehog Roasted Rosemary Potatoes.
It isn’t everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂