These smashed potatoes are the perfect mix of chip (fries), roast potato and buttery boiled potatoes. You get the fluffy insides, that all chips (fries) should have, the best crispy bits of roast potatoes and then the buttery soft taste of boiled potatoes. They are potato heaven!!!
p.s These babies have been featured in Australia's top food mag!!!! See my post about it here!!!
And the smell. The smell alone will bring people to the table. (I have a boys to the yard 'joke' swirling about my head but I can't quite make it funny so I think it can stay in my head!!)
That unmistakable smell of roasted potatoes and thyme. Oh the thyme. Beautiful and fresh it just brings the potatoes to a new level. If you don't have fresh thyme then soak the dried thyme in a small amount of olive oil first, to prevent it getting too crispy in the oven.
I serve these with everything!!! Roast chicken, pan fried steak, sandwiches, buttered fish. You name it, these will work! I even cook them up and then take a little tupperware to school for the boys to snack on during the drive home. They are better for them than a bag of crisps and they keep them fuller for longer. Which makes my life easier as they happily get to tea time without a fuss. And anything that makes the witching hour easier is a win in my book! Anyone else find 5pm turns normal children into menaces?
Before I share the recipe, lets just take a few more minutes to gaze at the nubbly crispy potatoes. And in case you missed it earlier. These are the perfect mix of chip, roast potato and buttery boiled potatoes. Seriously, get a tray of these cooking, open up a bottle of white wine and call it dinner. Unless you are feeding the kids....then swerve the wine!!!! For them not you 😉
I am a potato fan....if you agree you might want to check out my Potato Recipe Collection.!
If you love this recipe why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Smashed Crispy Thyme Potatoes
- 1 kg baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter see notes
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 stems of fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme - see notes
- Preheat oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan forced/Gas mark 7
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, salt generously and add the potatoes in whole.
- Cook for 20 minutes until just cooked.
- Try not to poke too many holes into your potatoes as this will mean the absorb water and will take longer to crisp later.
- Drain well. Make sure your potatoes are completely dry. I like to put them back into the pan once I have drained them and just give them a couple of minutes over a medium heat, to make sure all the surface moisture has evaporated.
- Line a large baking sheet with cooking paper and spread the potatoes out.
- Use a fork or spoon to squash the potatoes almost flat. Don't worry if they spit unevenly, this is what gives you all the crispy bits.
- Pour over the olive oil and then dot the potatoes with butter.
- Season well with salt and cracked black pepper
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems and sprinkle it over the potatoes.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes until crispy and golden.