Just a super short post from me today as I have just arrived home after a wonderful evening and then day in Perth. I am saving the food adventures for tomorrows week in pictures, but I will say I had possibly THE best pasta dish I have ever eaten in my life! Oh yes! It was out of this world scrumptious!!! (still loving the word scrumptious!)
Whilst I crack open a bottle of bubbly (well it is Saturday) I wanted to share this interesting and different platter idea. Prosciutto wrapped nectarines. These are a tasty salty sweet nibble. Perfect with an ice cold glass of wine.
Don’t be afraid to season these, they want a generous amount of pepper on them to balance the sweetness of the nectarines and balsamic syrup. Also the bed of rocket isn’t just for garnish, it adds another great flavour to the dish. These are great with a sprinkle of parmesan, but shockingly I am all out of parmesan, and I only went to check once the nectarines were in the pan!
Running out of parmesan is almost as bad as running out of olive oil or garlic! It is something that
never hardly ever happens in my house! We have run out of water twice in the last 3 months!! (The joys of living in the bush with no mains water!!!) but this is the first time in about 4 years that I have run out of parmesan! Not sure what this says about me! Answers in comments please 😉
This dish is also great with peaches, so buy which ever you prefer or which ever are looking freshest and tastiest, or which ever is on special if the other which evers haven’t thrown up a winner!
If you love this recipe why not sign up for my FREE weekly newsletter, packed with recipes, tips and tricks.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Makes 16 pieces
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 2 nectarines (firm ones work best)
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Handful baby rocket
- Balsamic syrup (see recipe below)
- Carefully cut/pull each slice of prosciutto in half lengthways. I find that most slices will separate easily and naturally into two thinner slices.
- Cut each nectarine in half, remove the stone and then cut each half into 4 slices. (thus giving you 8 slices from each nectarine.)
- Place a slice of prosciutto onto a board, at one end, add a slice of nectarine and then season generously with pepper.
- Roll the nectarine up in the prosciutto.
- Repeat for all the nectarine slices.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and then fry the nectarine for about 2 minutes on each side until the prosciutto is crispy.
- Scatter a large platter with the rocket, place the nectarine on top and drizzle with the balsamic syrup.
- 80ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Pour vinegar into a small sauce pan and add the sugar.
- Place the vinegar over a high heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the vinegar comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and allow the syrup to simmer for 10 minutes until thickened and glossy.