I love these. So much so that I made two batches today!!! Admittedly that was partly because I messed the first set of photos up! I didn't realise (it is hard to see on the camera display screen) so I set the platter down for us to munch on and downloaded the files. Whilst I was saying phrases liked "Oh botheration" and "Oh poo" Stew demolished more than his share, so it really wasn't a hardship to make a second batch. (My ISO was set at 3200!!!!)
The sweet mango works so well with the prawns, then the sharp spicy dressing turns everything into a savoury mouth explosion! This is one of those dishes that really does need a kick, without it, you find everything is a bit sweet. If you really don't like chilli then black pepper would work. If you can't take the spice then, an extra pinch of salt, more chives and some finely chopped red onion will give you a great dish.
These aren't really a platter, more of an individual serving, but they are so delicious that I am sure you will forgive me. You could serve this in a big bowl, or cut the mango bigger and skewer them. However you eat them, I would suggest making more than 12!!! And if you have Stew over then make sure you are ready to eat or he will steal your share!
I love prawn recipes, it is a wonder there aren't more on my site. I think they are one of my favourite proteins. Before I get to todays great prawn recipe, just a reminder that I have a GIVEAWAY going on at the moment. Have you entered? It is a bit of food fun with the chance to win a MasterChef Mandoline Slicer.
If you love this recipe why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Saturday Afternoon Platter - Prawn and Mango Spoons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried chives
- pinch of salt
- 2 mango cheeks (fresh or tinned)
- 12 large raw peeled prawns (shrimp)
- Pre-heat your grill to the highest setting.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, chilli, chives and salt together in a small bowl.
- Chop the mango into small dice.
- Add the mango to the dressing bowl, including any juice that escaped onto the chopping board.
- Tip the bowl to one side and use a teaspoon to remove a small amount of the dressing.
- Clean and devein the prawns and then toss in the removed dressing.
- Place on a lined baking sheet (use tin foil not cooking paper) and grill for 5 minutes until pink.
- Place a teaspoon of the mango mixture into a small canapé spoon (see notes) and top with a prawn.
If you don't have canapé spoons, you can just use teaspoons, or serve this in small bowls.