Sweet roasted asparagus, wrapped in golden pastry – perfect for dipping into a hollandaise or cheese dip.
These roasted Asparagus Straws make the perfect appetizer or snack. These little puff pastries are so easy to make and the recipe can easily be doubled for parties. Imagine crisp pastry wrapped around sweet roasted asparagus, seasoned with a little salt and pepper and dipped into buttery hollandaise.
So simple, so elegant so delicious and so quick to make!
What is Puff Pastry?
Puff pastry is a really buttery pastry that consists of lots and lots of layers. When it goes into the oven the butter melts and the water evaporates and it puffs the layers up so you have a delicious flaky pastry.
Which Puff Pastry to buy?
Puff pastry is not created equal!!! You can buy the basic grocery store brand and then there are all-butter brands. If you can go for the all-butter brands, the flavor is so much nicer, the feel in your mouth is so much nicer and the flaky layers are crispier, yet melt when you eat them. All-butter puff pastry does cost a bit more, but I firmly believe it is worth the expense. (And this recipe only uses 1 sheet so it is super cost effective anyway)
Note: If you are serving these Asparagus Straws to vegans, then you can still serve them puff-pastry but go for the homebrand versions, they are usually made with margarine so are suitable for vegans. (Check the packaging to be sure)
I can’t find Puff Pastry
If you are having problems finding puff pastry then you can make this recipe with ready rolled pie crust. It won’t be quite the same but it will taste just as good!
What to dip asparagus into
Asparagus loves butter and cream and cheese! (Asparagus and I should be BFF’s!) so when you are thinking about dips start with the cheesy, creamy or buttery dips.
I like to serve this with my homemade Hollandaise Sauce, which is the easiest and most foolproof way of making Hollandaise EVER!!! Click here for the Hollandaise sauce recipe.
If you don’t want to make hollandaise then you can serve these asparagus straws with:
- 3 Cheese Dip
- Melted Butter
- Hot Cheese Dip
- French Onion Dip
Can I double the recipe?
Yes, in fact with any recipe here in Sprinkles and Sprouts it is easy to change the serving size, you can just change the number in the servings box and it will automatically change the quantities in the recipe for you.
Occasionally the measurements will look a little strange, as they don’t all scale perfectly. Hard to have less than 1 egg for example.
The recipe below makes 20 asparagus straws, I like that number as it uses 1 sheet of pastry. But it is so easy to scale it up for a big party or down for a smaller one.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Pin this recipe for Asparagus Wrapped in Puff Pastry. Pin it here.
RECIPE – Asparagus Straws
- 20 asparagus spears
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190ºC.
- Lay the puff pastry out to thaw, once it has softened slightly cut it into ½ inch thick strips. I try to do this when it has only thawed slightly. This makes it much easier.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take an asparagus spear and snap or cut off the very woody end.
- Wrap a strip of pastry around each asparagus spear.
- Place on your lined tray and repeat with the remaining spears.
- Break the egg into a small bowl and brush the pastry with a light coating of egg.
- Sprinkle over some salt and pepper and bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is lightly golden.
- Whilst the asparagus is cooking, prepare the dip. I like to use my hollandaise sauce. (Find my recipe here)