A comforting bowl of pasta with mushroom broth, butter and parmesan, that is ready within 30 minutes!!!!
This vegetarian pasta with mushrooms is sure you make a regular appearance on your menu as it is quick and easy and tastes amazing. Dried mushrooms form the basis for this simple pasta dish that will please vegetarians and meat-eaters alike!
A few months back I published my Pasta with Chicken Broth, Butter and Parmesan and it went a crazy on pinterest! And with good reason, seriously that dish is good and so simple. And as I say in the post I am convinced it can cure a hangover!!!
Then I got a call from a vegetarian friend who asked if I thought it would work with vegetable stock.
"Sure" I said "Although I don't know if vegetable stock can cure a hangover"
We laughed, and the conversation moved on.
But it got me thinking, how could I make this dish vegetarian and still have that real oomph that chicken stock gave the original dish. And as I often do when thinking about vegetarian dishes, I moved to mushrooms and the stock made with soaking dried mushrooms. Packed with flavour and that real savoury flavour I was sure mushroom broth was the answer.
I gave it a go.
And long story short.
I BLEW MYSELF AWAY!!!!!
Seriously the flavour in this dish is so delicious. I ate two massive bowls of this!!
I mean, mushrooms and butter is a match made in heaven, and the butter emulsifies with the starchy cooking water and makes the most amazing mushroomy broth. SO GOOD!
I have added a splash of dry sherry to this, something that the original chicken version doesn't have. I think the sherry adds a bit more depth and really helps to boost the broth. Masala would work well too!
The trick to having a nice amount of broth left at the end is to really simmer the pasta on low with a lid on, this way you keep as much liquid as you can, obviously plenty gets absorbed by the pasta - but that is why it is so yummy!
I have tested this several times and 60g of dried mushrooms absorbs about 2 cups of liquid, leaving you with 4 cups of broth to cook your pasta in. Perfect!!! If you find your mushrooms have soaked up more that this you might need to add in some extra stock or water.
You can add all or some of the mushrooms to the final soup. I added about a handful and saved the rest for another pasta dish I am trialling. They are also great added to omelettes for a breakfast idea.
If you love this recipe for Pasta with Mushroom Broth, Butter and Parmesan why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Pasta with Mushroom Broth, Butter and Parmesan
- 2 oz dried mushrooms
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups small pasta shapes - pastina/stelline/orzo
- 2 tablespoon dry sherry
- ½ stick butter
- ¼ cup grated parmigiana cheese or vegetarian equivalent
- cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- fresh chives or parsley
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a large bowl (see notes)
- Pour over the boiling vegetable stock, cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the mushrooms and then pour the stock slowly back into a jug to check you have 4 cups. Do this slowly so that any grit at the bottom of your bowl doesn't end up in the final broth (see notes)
- Roughly chop your hydrated mushrooms and add a handful to the stock.
- Bring the stock back to a boil, then add the pasta and stir well.
- Turn the heat down to a very gently simmer, put a lid on the pan and cook the pasta as per the packet instructions. Ensure you stir it during the cooking as you are only using a small amount of stock.
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove it from the heat and quickly stir in the butter. Really stir it to ensure everything emulsified together.
- Use a slotted spoon to divide the pasta between the serving bowls.
- Pour over the mushroom broth. (See notes)
- Add the parmesan, plenty of black pepper and garnish with your fresh chives.
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes think you might love, like this Pasta with Mushroom Broth, Butter and Parmesan.
It isn't everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.