Mushroom Soup with fragrant rosemary and the earthy rich addition of black truffle. This mushroom, rosemary and truffle soup is packed with flavour and ready in under 30 minutes. Perfect for the cold weather we are having here in Western Australia.
There use to be an advert on British TV for 'cup a soup'. To be honest it was a bit freaky! A blue fluffy thing does the slalom down a mountain to give the lady making soup a hug. A two limbed blue fluffy thing!!
That all just sounds silly doesn't it!!! Think I need to find a clip!
Okay. So there we go! Bit odd. But I suppose it did what adverts are meant to do. It stuck with me. This is well over 10 years old and I still remember it. And every time I make soup I think 'Soup - a hug in a mug' Actually I usually think 'Soup - a hug in a bowl' because let's face it, a mug isn't big enough!!!! Everyone wants a big bowl of soup. I mean if we are going to have a hug we want it to be a big bear hug that envelops you and you feel like it will never let you go.
I remember years ago, after I had had a particularly stressful day at work Stew saying to me. "Go home, have a bath and I'll be there in a few hours and we know I am good at two things, pouring wine and big bear hugs." There was probably ice cream too 🙂 (Probably Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream - as explained here 😀 )
Hugs are pretty awesome aren't they! So is soup! And this soup is no exception! It is rich and creamy with a hint of truffle (you can easily get away with just truffle oil here) and if you are feeling under the weather, or have had a stressful day what could be better than a big bowl of mushroom, rosemary and truffle soup. Comfort with a hint of decadence. (Ha just read that back!!! After a stressful day at work what is better is wine!!!!! But hey truffle soup isn't a bad choice either!)
This is another recipe that uses my beautiful Manjimup truffles. I have a couple more dishes to share with you over the next week or so.
Both worth a cook! But for today I leave you with a big old bear hug in a bowl.
p.s If you love soups, check out my free ebook!
Truffle, Rosemary and Mushroom Soup
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- knob of butter
- 500 g mushrooms - I like the brown cap mushrooms
- 125 ml /1/2 cup dry white wine
- 500 ml /2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon grated black truffle
- 250 ml /1 cup milk
- pepper to taste
- Double cream to serve
- Extra black truffle or truffle oil
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions over a low eat until they are just starting to colour.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, stir well and cook for 5 minutes until they have softened.
- Add in the garlic and cook for another minute until the garlic starts to smell aromatic.
- Increase the heat and pour in the white wine, allowing it to quickly evaporate.
- Turn the heat back down, add the stock, rosemary and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender (or use a stick blender in the pan) along with the black truffle then pulse it until you have a finely chopped soup.
- Return to the pan with the milk. Check your seasoning and bring back up to simmer point.
- Serve with a dollop of cream and a shaving of black truffle (or a drizzle of truffle oil)
If you love food why not subscribe to my newsletter, I will drop you an email every now and then, just to say hi and send you a couple of recipes I think you might love. It isn't everyday! I am not that organised. Usually it is once a week (ish). And as a thank you I will send you my soup cookbook FREE. Full of my fav soups!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.