This Chilli Pasta dish is so simple, but it ticks every box. Everyone knows that chilli and garlic oil taste great on pasta. Add a bit of parmesan and you have a meal. But add a softly fried egg and you take it to the next level. The yolk mixes with the oil and gives the pasta an added sauciness. So good and so simple.
This Chilli Pasta with a fried egg was first published in March 2016
I was sat chatting to my friend Eve a couple of weeks ago and she asked what I was having for dinner. When I told her that Stew was out for the evening so I was going to make myself some chilli pasta with a fried egg, she looked at me and said “really?”
I started listing the virtues of this amazing dish.
- It is PASTA!!!
- It is quick and easy
- It uses store cupboard ingredients
- It tastes delicious
- I can eat it easily whilst watching Netflix
- It makes the house smell like an Italian village
- It is PASTA!!! (I said that already but I love pasta!!)
She agreed but said “It is just funny as I associate that as a breakfast dish. I used to eat it in my student days when I had no money”
Which made me almost spill my coffee as Eve is the first person I have ever met, who like me, thinks pasta is the perfect food for breakfast. And what is more this dish was, for quite some time, my weekend breakfast dish of choice. As mad as it sounds this is true!!! I would cook this for Saturday breakfast, and then enjoy it sat in bed, watching the cookshow ‘Saturday Kitchen’. This was pre-children, pre-responsibilities and when Saturdays were for sleeping-in!!!!
Seriously just look at this dish, who wouldn’t want it for brekkie!!! And it makes sense really….sort of….. pasta is just a carb like bread! So really it is a bit like eggs on toast 😉
Also it is one of the best hangover cures!!!!!! The chilli content is pretty high, so it makes you sweat, the pasta fills your stomach taking away that ache and everyone knows that eggs are just the best when it comes to a night of excess!!! A big bowl of this, a coffee, a long shower and the world starts to feel right again. It is like Berocca in Italian form 😉
The days of hangovers and 11am brunches are over, these days Saturday mornings are usually filled with crazy kids and 7am pancakes! Which is all good, as hangover suck! And the smiles I get when I make pancakes most definitely don’t suck!
But the pasta remains delicious and a great way to spend a Friday night, home alone with a glass of wine and ‘Salmon Fishing in Yemon’ on Netflix.
Life is good 🙂
If you love this recipe for Chilli Pasta why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more, as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes (I love this super spicy)
- 125 g (4.5 oz) pappardelle/or linguine
- 1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- parsley (for garnish)
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and place it in a small frying pan with the EVOO and the chilli flakes.
- Turn the heat on low and let the oil slowly warm up. Once you hear the slightest sizzle turn off the heat and pour the oil into your serving bowl.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, salt it super generously and then add the the pasta, cook according to the directions on the package.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking add the extra oil to the frying pan and fry the egg until cooked to your liking (I strongly suggest you keep the yolk runny)
- Strain the pasta and place into the serving dish.
- Mix together until the pasta is well coated in the oil.
- Slide the egg onto the pasta and garnish with parsley.