Everybody loves stuffed mushrooms! And these basil and cheese stuffed mushrooms are divine. They are simple to make and make a great dinner party appetizer.
The mushrooms are stuffed with a mixture of ricotta, pesto and parmesan. This makes a delicious rich filling that stays inside the mushroom as it bakes! There is nothing worse than a cheese stuffed mushroom where all the cheese has leaked out of the mushrooms….you end up with less cheese stuffed mushroom and more empty mushroom sitting on burnt filling = BAD!
The ricotta really is the star here, as well as keeping everything inside the mushrooms it keeps the filling juicy, so after their 20 minute stint in the oven the filling is still juicy and creamy. Then the addition of parmesan perks everything up and really boosts the cheese flavour here.
How delicious do these basil and cheese stuffed mushrooms look?
I know there is a saying “Life is too short to stuff a mushroom” but I disagree. Life is too short to diet! But it is never too short to enjoy good food!!!! I think the same person who came up with that came up with “real men don’t eat quiche” PAH! Serve mini quiche at your next gathering and see how quickly they disappear. Everyone loves them! So yes, ignore the phrase and stuff your mushrooms.
These cheese stuffed mushrooms are such a great vegetarian appetizer, but served up on a large platter they make a great canapé too.
These Vegetarian stuffed Mushrooms are simple to make and perfect for easy entertaining.
For other easy appetisers check out these recipes.
- Fig, Ricotta and Prosciutto Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Blue Cheese Bruschetta with Cherry Salsa By Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Salmon and Prawn Salad with a Gravlax dressing by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Crostini by Jennifer Meyering
- Fried Goats Cheese by The Pioneer Woman
I like to serve 3 stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer so the recipe below will serve 4. But it is super simple to multiply up the recipe, but if you double the recipe only add an extra tablespoon of oil. There will still be plenty to help the mushrooms cook and you don’t want to swamp them.
I love homemade ricotta and you can get my recipe here (it is a great way to use milk has been reduced at the grocery store!) but homemade ricotta does tend to be a little drier than store bought. If your ricotta is dry add a tablespoon of heavy cream to the stuffing mixture.
If you love this recipe for Basil and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest!
I share a lot of food!!!! And quite a lot of other stuff! Come find me today x
Basil and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/3 cup ricotta (See notes)
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 12 mushrooms
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- fresh basil for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper/parchment.
- Mix the ricotta and pesto together in a small bowl.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the grated parmesan and mix the remaining parmesan into the ricotta mixture,
- Stir well together, if the mixture looks dry (see notes) then add in the heavy cream.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and place them rounded side down, on your lined tray.
- Lightly season the inside of the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the ricotta mixture into the mushrooms, sprinkle over the reserved parmesan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is just starting to turn golden.
- Add a sprig of basil to each mushroom and serve hot or at room temperature.