This Sweet Chilli Chicken is sweet, sticky, a little spicy and very very moorish! The sweet chilli glaze helps the chicken caramelise and the mango salad is sweet, spicy and refreshing.
This is such a simple dish, but it packs so much flavour into every bite.
The chicken is coated in a mixture of oil, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice. Some crushed garlic and a few chilli flakes add some bite and then it is charred to a caramelised smoky perfection!
Served alongside a mango and red onion salad, it is a great summer recipe. Yes I know it is winter here in Oz, but hey winter here is still warmer than summer in the UK. Although I do miss those wonderful summer nights where the sun doesn't set until gone 10pm!
I like to turn the heat up with the Mango salad and add some fresh chilli. I just take a a portion out to give to the Mr 6 as he giving him chilli means his "tongue is on fire forever". The combination is great. Sweet, spicy and then a little sour from the lime.
I have been meaning to share this with you for a couple of months but life around here has just been crazy. Somehow 2 months has gone by and I have hardly been around! But I am hoping that once the kids go back to school on Tuesday that life can get back to some sort of normality. Maybe??? Although I am not sure life here at Rickety Cottage is ever normal 😉
The goat is still causing me all sorts of issues, but worse than that, he seems to have taught the sheep how to have an attitude! Now I have a crazy sheep that escapes and once he has got out of the paddock he actually skips! Little jumps all over the place and nothing can coax him back in!
I like to add some cucumber to the dish to give everything some added freshness and also a great pop of green. But this is also wonderful served with some homemade soft flour tortillas!
Add some shredded lettuce and you have a great Taco Tuesday meal!
If you don't want to fire up the outdoor grill, or it is too cold outside to use it. Then cook the chicken on a hot griddle pan or cast iron skillet. Make sure your extractor is on full as the sugar in the sweet chilli sauce produced some smoke. But that just adds to the flavour in the dish.
I love the colours in this dish, so bright and vibrant, they just make you happy when the plate hits the table.
If you are serving a crowd then this is a super easy recipe to double or even tripe. Serve everything on a large platter and let people help themselves.
For an outdoor feast add this Seared Swordfish to the menu, (with the fruity salsa or just more of this mango salad) and maybe a rice salad.
The marinade is delicious and doesn't need to sit for hours. I like to mix it up, coat the chicken and then go outside to get the grill hot. That 10 minutes is enough to get the flavours going. But you can leave the chicken a couple of hours if you like. Don't leave it any longer than that as the lime juice starts to cook the thin pieces of chicken.
Also, this marinade works well with pork too, so you can mix it up and use strips of pork tenderloin. The pork cooks even quicker than the chicken so have everything ready before you start.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let's share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Sweet Chilli Chicken With Mango Salad
For the Chicken
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅔ cup sweet chilli sauce
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes see notes
- 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 chicken breasts
For the Mango Salad
- ½ red onion
- 1 lime
- 1 red chilli
- 2 mangos cheeks
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- Bunch fresh coriander
- Mix the olive oil, sweet chilli sauce, chilli flakes together in a shallow bowl.
- Zest 1 of the limes and add it to the marinade, then cut them both in half and add the juice.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of the marinade and set aside for dressing the cooked chicken
- Crush the garlic into the remaining marinade and stir again.
- Cut the chicken into thick strips and add it to the sweet chilli marinade.
- Set this aside whilst you make the Mango Salad.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Add to a onion to a bowl and add the juice of the lime and the chopped red chilli.
- Thinly slice the mango and add to the salad. Stir gently and let it sit whilst you cook the chicken.
- Get the barbecue hot, or place a griddle pan over a medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken strips over a medium high heat for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken with mango salad, some cucumber slices, a garnish of coriander and a drizzle of the reserved sweet chilli sauce mix.
If you love this recipe for Sweet Chilli Chicken With Mango Salad why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more, as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.