Succulent roast chicken, soft sweet onions, jammy grapes and a rich buttery rosemary sauce. This Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Grape is perfect with a salad and some crispy bread.
I’m not a big fan of the Sunday roast. I know, I am probably the only person in the universe who doesn’t love the idea of sitting down to roast dinner. I love sitting down to dinner with my family, I just don’t enjoy the traditional Sunday dinner. Everything piled up on the plate, too many elements to enjoy and all sort of tasting a bit similar is they are all touching.
I much prefer to take an element from the meal and enjoy it separately. So crunchy potatoes are perfect with a steak. Roasted carrots are one of my favourite veg to accompany crispy chicken thighs. Yorkshire puddings…well they are perfect with everything!!! Especially sausages!
Then there is the meat itself. I love roast lamb, but I like it with bread and roasted veg. Or Roast beef with a wonderful creamy rich paris mash. Roast duck with an oriental salad. Or roast chicken, served with salad and crispy bread!
I don’t know, I guess I am just odd 😉
Whether you save this for Sunday or serve it up mid week, this chicken is definitely the star of any meal. It is smothered generously in rosemary butter and then roasted with grapes and red onion. Roasted grapes are a revelation. They get a slightly charred exterior, and taste like the best ever fruit pastilles. They have that same slight chew, but when you break them open you get super sweet grape. So good!!! That is why the recipe calls for so many, because I promise you there will be fights over those grapes!!!
When you have finished roasting the chicken, the pan will have some wonderful sweet, salty buttery chicken juices at the bottom. Save them and use them as the salad dressing! So delicious. I like to sharpen it slightly with a splash of apple cider vinegar. But play about with the quantities and see what you prefer.
This may not be your traditional Sunday roast, but give it a go. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
If you love this recipe for Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Grapes why not subscribe to my newsletter, then you can have delicious recipes straight into your inbox. What is more, as a thank you I will send you my soup ebook for FREE!
Subscribe today 🙂
Signup and get my FREE soup cookbook.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Grape
- 1.8 kg /4lb whole chicken
- 4 tbsp salted butter (room temp)
- 3 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 red onions
- 450 g /1lb seedless red grapes
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF.
- Pat the out of the chicken with kitchen paper, then season the inside generously with salt and pepper.
- Mix the 2 teaspoons of the rosemary together with the butter. Add a pinch of pepper.
- Carefully slide your fingers between the meat and skin of the chicken, gently separating them. Try not to rip the skin.
- Push the butter mixture up under the skin and then carefully smooth it down.
- Peel the red onion and chop into wedges.
- Arrange the wedges over a small roasting dish. Sprinkle over a handful of the grapes.
- Add the chicken on top and arrange the remaining grapes around the edge.
- Pour over the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the remaining rosemary.
- Roast the chicken for 1 and 15 minutes, or until the juices run clear. (If you have a slightly bigger chicken you might need to cook it for longer)
- To serve, drain any liquid from the roasting tray, mix a spoonful or two with some apple cider vinegar and and use this to dress a green salad. Alternatively just use the juices without the vinegar.
- Get plenty of bread and dig in 🙂