Juicy shrimp with the crunch of celery and sweetness grapes all bound in a creamy dill flavoured dressing. This Open Faced Shrimp Sandwich with Grape and Celery is perfect entertaining food. Simple to make and oh so dreamy delicious!
It is 5:15 am here!!! I woke up to the parrots squawking so loudly there was no way I could go back to sleep! They sound like laughing monkeys and are really very very loud!!! Wonderful but loud, then there was a cockerel in the distance, a horse neighing and just as I was thinking, hmmm perhaps I will get up Billy, our goat looked in through the window, before wandering off to sit under the fig tree. Then I could hear the dog starting to get restless to go outside and I knew I wasn’t getting any more sleep this morning.
So here I am, with a big mug of coffee and my laptop! Silently tapping away before the rest of the house is awake. It is beautifully peaceful, despite the zoo outside! And quite relaxing….although I am sure I will pay for it at 9:30 tonight when I want to crawl into bed and my parents and Stew want to play cards. Still perhaps I’ll make a round of coffee cocktails, like my Whisky Cold Drips (think espresso martini only better!!!) and carry on through!
Today I am sharing an open faced shrimp sandwich with you. Which I always feel is a silly name as a sandwich was so named because it was meat between two slices of bread. So the story goes, the 4th Earl of Sandwich ordered his dinner to be served between two slices of bread so that he didn’t have to leave the card table and could easily pick his supper up with his fingers. Other people within his gentlemens club thought this seemed a good idea and would order “supper like Sandwich” and thus the sandwich was born.
Opps….couldn’t resist a bite of these Open Faced Shrimp Sandwich with Grape and Celery
So to have an open faced sandwich is really not possible and this probably should be called bruschetta! But then bruschetta doesn’t seem as much like a lunch item, rather more like a snack or appetiser. Is that just me??? If you prefer you can call these Shrimp Bruschetta with Grape and Celery, I won’t mind 😉
Either way you should make them!!!! They are fabulously simple, super tasty and really quite pretty!
Here in Australia the fish counters in the supermarket sell something called ‘Seafood Cocktail’ it is small shrimp, slices of crab stick, and chunks of celery all bound in a mayo/cream dressing. This is my homemade version (without the crab stick and with a few additional tweaks!)
These Open Faced Shrimp Sandwiches would be perfect for lunch with the girls, or if you are greedy like me, just for scoffing down mid afternoon when you are peckish because you skipped lunch due to an obscenely large breakfast!
If you love this recipe for Open Faced Shrimp Sandwich with Grape and Celery why not pin it for later.
Come play on Pinterest.
Also find me on:
Let’s share the food love and make the world a tastier place 🙂
Open Faced Shrimp Sandwich with Grape and Celery
- 2 crusty rolls (or 4 slices of baguette)
- 1 stick celery
- 1/4 cup green grapes
- 1/2 lb small cooked shrimp (prawns)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- pinch celery salt
- Salt and white pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- Cut the bread rolls in half and place them in a hot dry frying pan, cut side down to get a crisp top. (Alternatively pop them under the grill)
- Wash the celery and dry the celery then cut it into quarters length ways. Finely slice your lengths of celery to get small chunks. Add to a mixing bowl.
- Cut the grapes in half (or quarters if they are large) and add them into the mixing bowl.
- Add in the shrimp (you can chop them if you want a slightly easier bite)
- Add the mayo, sour cream and a nice pinch of celery salt. Check your seasoning, add salt and white pepper to taste (or more celery salt).
- Stir well to combine.
- Finely chop the dill and stir it through the shrimp mixture
- Divide the mixture between the toasted rolls and serve immediately.